This article is more than 1 year old
BT man injured as Networks Telecom stand collapses
Shocked and concussed
A BT staffer was hurt yesterday when a partition from the telecom giant's stand at the Networks Telecom show collapsed.
Mark Heaton needed treatment for shock and minor concussion after a plastic fitting about six feet long dealt him a glancing blow to head.
He was able to return to work after staff in the medical centre of Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre, where Britain's largest IT show is held every year, gave him the all clear.
After the accident, a portion of the main BT stand at the show was roped off with plastic taping for several hours while health and safety experts nervously inspected its stand amid fears part of it might collapse.
Accidents happen, but exhibitors at the show - who pay tens of thousands of pounds for the privilege of showing their wares there - habe been questioning how contractors made such a serious slip up.
Conference organisers CMP were keen to downplay the significance of the accident. A representative of the firm at the show was more keen to dispel erroneous rumours that a fork lift truck had ploughed into a stand than answer our questions about who was to blame. It was, when all's said and done, a mercifully minor incident. ®