Palm numbers suggest dire quarter for handhelds

It's an industry thing


ComputerWire: IT Industry Intelligence

The PDA industry looks set for another quarter of bloody retreat, if an earnings warning by Palm Inc holds true.

Santa Clara, California-based Palm warned yesterday that its fourth quarter fiscal figures would fall way short of expectations, but said this was down to an industry downturn in PDA sales, which it insisted would soon be reflected in other vendors' numbers and market research figures.

Palm had forecast that sales for its fourth fiscal quarter ending May 31 would be $290m to $300m, and that it would breakeven. Yesterday, it said that sales would be around $230m, and that it would not meet the break even target.

The outlook for the summer is even more dismal, with the company expecting sales to drop to $175m to $185m, with an operating loss of $40m to $45m.

While the figures would have been bleak enough on their own, Palm insisted that it was caught in an industry wide malaise, with little evidence of an expected seasonal uptick. If anything, said Judy Bruner, Palms CFO, "It appears we have maintained or gained market share."

Looking ahead, said Bruner, the company did not expect any uptick in the market in the immediate future. She said the firm did not expect any meaningful improvement over the summer, particularly in Europe. The summer is likely to see vendors scrapping over a shrinking market, with Bruner saying the company's focus will shift to demand generation and market share.

However, said chairman and CEO Eric Benhamou, "we don't think this market will remain lousy for ever." He said, "we see many indications of an upturn in late summer into fall," and there will be "some meaningful growth in that time frame." The company now expects it will become profitable in the fall.

In the meantime, apart from chasing market share, Benhamou said the company would remain on track to meet its three corporate objectives for this year. These are the creation of separate hardware and software companies; executing on its enterprise strategy; and migration to the Palm processor.

The shift to the higher powered ARM processor, along with the upcoming release of the Palm OS 5, will be essential part of what Benhamou presented as a new age for the handheld market. "Our industry is about to end the first chapter," he claimed, and is "about to move into the second chapter."

On the development of OS 5, Benhamou said the company was well on schedule, and would ship to licensees a few weeks ahead of plan.

© ComputerWire. All rights reserved.


Other stories you might like

  • The ‘substantial contributions’ Intel has promised to boost RISC-V adoption
    With the benefit of maybe revitalizing the x86 giant’s foundry business

    Analysis Here's something that would have seemed outlandish only a few years ago: to help fuel Intel's future growth, the x86 giant has vowed to do what it can to make the open-source RISC-V ISA worthy of widespread adoption.

    In a presentation, an Intel representative shared some details of how the chipmaker plans to contribute to RISC-V as part of its bet that the instruction set architecture will fuel growth for its revitalized contract chip manufacturing business.

    While Intel invested in RISC-V chip designer SiFive in 2018, the semiconductor titan's intentions with RISC-V evolved last year when it revealed that the contract manufacturing business key to its comeback, Intel Foundry Services, would be willing to make chips compatible with x86, Arm, and RISC-V ISAs. The chipmaker then announced in February it joined RISC-V International, the ISA's governing body, and launched a $1 billion innovation fund that will support chip designers, including those making RISC-V components.

    Continue reading
  • FBI warns of North Korean cyberspies posing as foreign IT workers
    Looking for tech talent? Kim Jong-un's friendly freelancers, at your service

    Pay close attention to that resume before offering that work contract.

    The FBI, in a joint advisory with the US government Departments of State and Treasury, has warned that North Korea's cyberspies are posing as non-North-Korean IT workers to bag Western jobs to advance Kim Jong-un's nefarious pursuits.

    In guidance [PDF] issued this week, the Feds warned that these techies often use fake IDs and other documents to pose as non-North-Korean nationals to gain freelance employment in North America, Europe, and east Asia. Additionally, North Korean IT workers may accept foreign contracts and then outsource those projects to non-North-Korean folks.

    Continue reading
  • Elon Musk says Twitter buy 'cannot move forward' until spam stats spat settled
    A stunning surprise to no one in this Solar System

    Elon Musk said his bid to acquire and privatize Twitter "cannot move forward" until the social network proves its claim that fake bot accounts make up less than five per cent of all users.

    The world's richest meme lord formally launched efforts to take over Twitter last month after buying a 9.2 per cent stake in the biz. He declined an offer to join the board of directors, only to return asking if he could buy the social media platform outright at $54.20 per share. Twitter's board resisted Musk's plans at first, installing a "poison pill" to hamper a hostile takeover before accepting the deal, worth over $44 billion.

    But then it appears Musk spotted something in Twitter's latest filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC. The paperwork asserted that "fewer than five percent" of Twitter's monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the first quarter of 2022 were fake or spammer accounts, which Musk objected to: he felt that figure should be a lot higher. He had earlier proclaimed that ridding Twitter of spam bots was a priority for him, post-takeover.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022