Oh no, you're thinking, yet another cookie pop-up. Well, sorry, it's the law. We measure how many people read us, and ensure you see relevant ads, by storing cookies on your device. If you're cool with that, hit “Accept all Cookies”. For more info and to customize your settings, hit “Customize Settings”.

Review and manage your consent

Here's an overview of our use of cookies, similar technologies and how to manage them. You can also change your choices at any time, by hitting the “Your Consent Options” link on the site's footer.

Manage Cookie Preferences
  • These cookies are strictly necessary so that you can navigate the site as normal and use all features. Without these cookies we cannot provide you with the service that you expect.

  • These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.

  • These cookies collect information in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used. They allow us to count visits and traffic sources so that we can measure and improve the performance of our sites. If people say no to these cookies, we do not know how many people have visited and we cannot monitor performance.

See also our Cookie policy and Privacy policy.

This article is more than 1 year old

MyDoom assault forces SCO off the net

Swamp Thing

SCO has pulled the plug on its main Web site in response to a huge DDoS initiated from PCs infected with the MyDoom worm last weekend.

In a statement, SCO said that its site was "flooded with requests beyond its capacity".

"This large scale attack, caused by the MyDoom computer virus that is estimated to have infected hundreds of thousands of computers around the world, is now overwhelming the Internet with requests to www.sco.com," said Jeff Carlon, worldwide director of Information Technology infrastructure, The SCO Group.

Rather than saying the attack was "overwhelming the Internet" it would be more accurate to say that the assault was swamping SCO's main site. The Internet, as a whole, is behaving normally.

www.sco.com has been taken out of DNS records - effectively removing it from the Internet - in response to the DDoS attack. Netcraft reports that SCO may have taken this action under pressure from ISPs to put a stop to the http traffic been generated from infected machines.

SCO said it expects the attacks on its Web site to continue until February 12, when MyDoom-A is programmed to stop spreading or attacking the SCO site. The company said it would outline contingency plans it intends to take to defend against the MyDoom attack later today.

SCO has put up a $250,000 bounty for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the author of MyDoom-A. Since the appearance of MyDoom-A a less prolific variant, MyDoom-B, has been unleashed onto the Net.

MyDoom-B is programmed to launch DDoS attacks on both www.sco.com (not sco.com as previously reported) and www.microsoft.com.

Both MyDoom-A and MyDoom-B infect only Windows machines. ®

Related Stories

Latest Email worm has SCO-facing payload
SCO posts $250,000 worm bounty

More about

TIP US OFF

Send us news


Other stories you might like