South Korea slaps cuffs on Web satrist

You're nicked, sonny


A 21-year-old South Korean student has been arrested and charged with disseminating false information after he posted pictures on the Internet, poking fun at politicians.

The authorities say the postings were contrary to their electoral law, which was recently amended to ban distribution of messages offensive to politicians during an election campaign.

The student, known by his online pseudonym "Kwon", posted files that included a cartoon strip showing one party leader as homeless after losing the elections and a parody of a video game in which the losing team was replaced by members of the main opposition party. Kwon is accused of posting 70 similar images on 15 sites.

The National Electoral Commission (NEC) said it would close down websites displaying such content, and go after any Net users who display it on their sites. The law, amended on 12 March, now demands that ISPs hand over names and addresses of those suspected of posting material deemed offensive.

Reporters without Borders (RSF), an organisation that campaigns for global freedom of the press, condemed the arrest saying that this law should not be applied to Net users posting such information on personal websites. In a statement issued late last week, RSF said that the prosecution of the student "clearly constitutes a violation of free expression on the Internet, especially as the law says the election campaign does not start until two weeks before the elections, namely, on 1 April".

Although Kwon has since been released, many South Koreans are unimpressed with this heavy-handed approach. In the wake of president Roh Moo-hyun's removal, there has been a vast increase in political debate online. Choi Nae-hyun of website Mediamob said that charging Internet users "is nothing less then an attack on the people's right to participate freely in politics".

The most recent RSF data on South Korea can be found here. ®


Other stories you might like

  • 5G C-band rollout at US airports slowed over radio altimeter safety fears
    Well, they did say from July, now they really mean from July 2023

    America's aviation watchdog has said the rollout of 5G C-band coverage near US airports won't fully start until next year, delaying some travelers' access to better cellular broadband at crowded terminals.

    Acting FAA Administrator Billy Nolen said in a statement this month that its discussions with wireless carriers "have identified a path that will continue to enable aviation and 5G C-band wireless to safely co-exist."

    5G C-band operates between 3.7-3.98GHz, near the 4.2-4.4GHz band used by radio altimeters that are jolly useful for landing planes in limited visibility. There is or was a fear that these cellular signals, such as from cell towers close to airports, could bleed into the frequencies used by aircraft and cause radio altimeters to display an incorrect reading. C-band technology, which promises faster mobile broadband, was supposed to roll out nationwide on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile US's networks, but some deployments have been paused near airports due to these concerns. 

    Continue reading
  • IBM settles age discrimination case that sought top execs' emails
    Just days after being ordered to provide messages, Big Blue opts out of public trial

    Less than a week after IBM was ordered in an age discrimination lawsuit to produce internal emails in which its former CEO and former SVP of human resources discuss reducing the number of older workers, the IT giant chose to settle the case for an undisclosed sum rather than proceed to trial next month.

    The order, issued on June 9, in Schenfeld v. IBM, describes Exhibit 10, which "contains emails that discuss the effort taken by IBM to increase the number of 'millennial' employees."

    Plaintiff Eugene Schenfeld, who worked as an IBM research scientist when current CEO Arvind Krishna ran IBM's research group, sued IBM for age discrimination in November, 2018. His claim is one of many that followed a March 2018 report by ProPublica and Mother Jones about a concerted effort to de-age IBM and a 2020 finding by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) that IBM executives had directed managers to get rid of older workers to make room for younger ones.

    Continue reading
  • FTC urged to probe Apple, Google for enabling ‘intense system of surveillance’
    Ad tracking poses a privacy and security risk in post-Roe America, lawmakers warn

    Democrat lawmakers want the FTC to investigate Apple and Google's online ad trackers, which they say amount to unfair and deceptive business practices and pose a privacy and security risk to people using the tech giants' mobile devices.

    US Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and Cory Booker (D-NJ) and House Representative Sara Jacobs (D-CA) requested on Friday that the watchdog launch a probe into Apple and Google, hours before the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, clearing the way for individual states to ban access to abortions. 

    In the days leading up to the court's action, some of these same lawmakers had also introduced data privacy bills, including a proposal that would make it illegal for data brokers to sell sensitive location and health information of individuals' medical treatment.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022