Motorola reports record quarter

Mobile phone sales back ahead of Samsung's, company claims


Motorola heralded record sales yersterday when it published the results for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2004.

The company's sales hit $8.84bn, up 27 per cent on the year-ago quarter's $6.97bn and up a more modest 2.6 per cent on the previous quarter's $8.62bn.

Net income totalled $687m (28 cents a share), up 56 per cent on Q4 FY2003's $441m and 43.4 per cent on Q3 FY2004's $479m. Those figures exclude the impact of Motorola's former semiconductor division, now called Freescale, which it spun out in June 2004.

Motorola shipped 31.8m mobile phones during the quarter, taking its market share to 16.6 per cent, the company said it had estimated. Motorola is currently slugging it out with Samsung for the world's number two handset maker position behind market leader Nokia. Samsung did not

It's comparison of that figure with Q3's estimate of 13.4 per cent and 13.7 per cent for Q4 FY2003 is undoubtedly intended to suggest a gain over its immediate rival. Indeed, "the market share resurgence of the Personal Communications Segment in the fourth quarter strengthened Motorola's number two position in the wireless handset industry," boasted CEO Ed Zander.

For FY2004 as a whole, Motorola recorded $31.bn worth of sales - up 35 per cent on FY2003 - yielding a 137 per cent increase in earnings, which grew to $2.2bn (91 cents a share).

Considering FY2005, the company said its expects Q1 revenue to comes to $7.5-7.9bn, down sequentially from the crucial holiday sales period but still up at least 1.4 per cent on the year-ago quarter. Earnings should come in between 17 and 20 cents a share. ®

Related stories

Motorola shapes up its act
Apple talks up mid-range Motorola 'iPod phone'
Samsung phones outsell Motorola's
Hello Moto, hello increased Q3 profits


Other stories you might like

  • Zuckerberg sued for alleged role in Cambridge Analytica data-slurp scandal
    I can prove CEO was 'personally involved in Facebook’s failure to protect privacy', DC AG insists

    Cambridge Analytica is back to haunt Mark Zuckerberg: Washington DC's Attorney General filed a lawsuit today directly accusing the Meta CEO of personal involvement in the abuses that led to the data-slurping scandal. 

    DC AG Karl Racine filed [PDF] the civil suit on Monday morning, saying his office's investigations found ample evidence Zuck could be held responsible for that 2018 cluster-fsck. For those who've put it out of mind, UK-based Cambridge Analytica harvested tens of millions of people's info via a third-party Facebook app, revealing a – at best – somewhat slipshod handling of netizens' privacy by the US tech giant.

    That year, Racine sued Facebook, claiming the social network was well aware of the analytics firm's antics yet failed to do anything meaningful until the data harvesting was covered by mainstream media. Facebook repeatedly stymied document production attempts, Racine claimed, and the paperwork it eventually handed over painted a trail he said led directly to Zuck. 

    Continue reading
  • Florida's content-moderation law kept on ice, likely unconstitutional, court says
    So cool you're into free speech because that includes taking down misinformation

    While the US Supreme Court considers an emergency petition to reinstate a preliminary injunction against Texas' social media law HB 20, the US Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday partially upheld a similar injunction against Florida's social media law, SB 7072.

    Both Florida and Texas last year passed laws that impose content moderation restrictions, editorial disclosure obligations, and user-data access requirements on large online social networks. The Republican governors of both states justified the laws by claiming that social media sites have been trying to censor conservative voices, an allegation that has not been supported by evidence.

    Multiple studies addressing this issue say right-wing folk aren't being censored. They have found that social media sites try to take down or block misinformation, which researchers say is more common from right-leaning sources.

    Continue reading
  • US-APAC trade deal leaves out Taiwan, military defense not ruled out
    All fun and games until the chip factories are in the crosshairs

    US President Joe Biden has heralded an Indo-Pacific trade deal signed by several nations that do not include Taiwan. At the same time, Biden warned China that America would help defend Taiwan from attack; it is home to a critical slice of the global chip industry, after all. 

    The agreement, known as the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), is still in its infancy, with today's announcement enabling the United States and the other 12 participating countries to begin negotiating "rules of the road that ensure [US businesses] can compete in the Indo-Pacific," the White House said. 

    Along with America, other IPEF signatories are Australia, Brunei, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Combined, the White House said, the 13 countries participating in the IPEF make up 40 percent of the global economy. 

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022