Ebbers recalls shock of discovering WorldCom fraud

'No earthly idea that that would occur'


Bernie Ebbers said he was "shocked" when he first found out about the massive accounting fraud that floored giant telco WorldCom.

He told a New York court yesterday that his grasp of technology and accounting were limited and that he was completely in the dark about the fraud.

"I never thought anything like that had gone on," he testified yesterday. "I put those people in place, and I trusted those people. I had no earthly idea that that would occur."

Quizzed about his own personal grasp of matter the IHT reports him as saying: "I don't know about technology and I don't know about finance and accounting."

Ebbers - who denies the charges against him in relation to the $11bn (£5.8bn) book fiddling that led to the collapse of WorldCom in 2002 - also challenged the version of events laid out by the prosecution's star witness, former CFO Scott Sullivan, who testified that he had repeatedly spoken to Ebbers about the cover-up.

"He has never told me he made an entry that wasn't right," Ebbers said. "If he had, we wouldn't be here today." ®

Related stories

Ebbers in the dark over accounting scandal - witness
Ebbers trial team begins defence
Ebbers was 'intimidating' boss
WorldCom CFO lied, he admits to court Ebbers trial halted 'till Wednesday
Ebbers failed to tell of book fiddling
Ebbers 'drove Worldcom fraud' - Sullivan
Sullivan fingers Ebbers in WorldCom fraud whodunnit
WorldCom directors $54m lawsuit deal unravels
Ebbers fortune at risk as share prices slid
Former Worldcom directors cough up $18m
Ebbers never made 'an accounting decision' - witness
Ebbers feared fortune would be 'wiped out'
Ebbers knew of financial fiddling
Ebbers' financial know-how probed
Gloves off in Ebbers WorldCom fraud trial
Ebbers fraud trial kicks off
Ebbers faces WorldCom court showdown
Former Worldcom directors cough up $18m
MCI breaks free from Chapter 11
WorldCom gets sums wrong by $74bn
Bernie Ebbers faces criminal charges

Similar topics

Broader topics

Narrower topics


Other stories you might like

  • The ‘substantial contributions’ Intel has promised to boost RISC-V adoption
    With the benefit of maybe revitalizing the x86 giant’s foundry business

    Analysis Here's something that would have seemed outlandish only a few years ago: to help fuel Intel's future growth, the x86 giant has vowed to do what it can to make the open-source RISC-V ISA worthy of widespread adoption.

    In a presentation, an Intel representative shared some details of how the chipmaker plans to contribute to RISC-V as part of its bet that the instruction set architecture will fuel growth for its revitalized contract chip manufacturing business.

    While Intel invested in RISC-V chip designer SiFive in 2018, the semiconductor titan's intentions with RISC-V evolved last year when it revealed that the contract manufacturing business key to its comeback, Intel Foundry Services, would be willing to make chips compatible with x86, Arm, and RISC-V ISAs. The chipmaker then announced in February it joined RISC-V International, the ISA's governing body, and launched a $1 billion innovation fund that will support chip designers, including those making RISC-V components.

    Continue reading
  • FBI warns of North Korean cyberspies posing as foreign IT workers
    Looking for tech talent? Kim Jong-un's friendly freelancers, at your service

    Pay close attention to that resume before offering that work contract.

    The FBI, in a joint advisory with the US government Departments of State and Treasury, has warned that North Korea's cyberspies are posing as non-North-Korean IT workers to bag Western jobs to advance Kim Jong-un's nefarious pursuits.

    In guidance [PDF] issued this week, the Feds warned that these techies often use fake IDs and other documents to pose as non-North-Korean nationals to gain freelance employment in North America, Europe, and east Asia. Additionally, North Korean IT workers may accept foreign contracts and then outsource those projects to non-North-Korean folks.

    Continue reading
  • Elon Musk says Twitter buy 'cannot move forward' until spam stats spat settled
    A stunning surprise to no one in this Solar System

    Elon Musk said his bid to acquire and privatize Twitter "cannot move forward" until the social network proves its claim that fake bot accounts make up less than five per cent of all users.

    The world's richest meme lord formally launched efforts to take over Twitter last month after buying a 9.2 per cent stake in the biz. He declined an offer to join the board of directors, only to return asking if he could buy the social media platform outright at $54.20 per share. Twitter's board resisted Musk's plans at first, installing a "poison pill" to hamper a hostile takeover before accepting the deal, worth over $44 billion.

    But then it appears Musk spotted something in Twitter's latest filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC. The paperwork asserted that "fewer than five percent" of Twitter's monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the first quarter of 2022 were fake or spammer accounts, which Musk objected to: he felt that figure should be a lot higher. He had earlier proclaimed that ridding Twitter of spam bots was a priority for him, post-takeover.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022