Avecho Group in administration

'Employees' appeal for saviour


Directors of secretive anti-virus vendor Avecho Group Ltd put the firm into administration on 2 December, barely three years since the business was founded.

The Essex-based firm had caused a stir by claiming its email virus-checking system was 100 per cent proof. But its methods where a closely guarded secret.

A spokesperson for Stephen Cork, the official administrator of Avecho at Smith & Williamson, confirmed that the security software vendor had gone into administration on 2 December.

The directors filed their administration report with Companies House on 8 December. It is expected to be published this week.

Bob Tarzey of Quocirca, one of few industry analysts who took an interest in Avecho, believed its secrecy might have had something to do with its demise.

"People don't like magic. They want to know how it works. If [someone] says, 'trust me, I'm a salesman,' then you don't trust them," said Tarzey.

Reports have suggested Avecho has no patents for its technology and used this to explain the firm's secrecy.

Avecho's founders have also claimed (in 2003) that though they have patents, they do not have the resources to defend their intellectual property in court.

Yet a former strategic advisor to the firm said that as late as December last year it was still official policy not to file for patents because it did not have the money to defend them. It had been reviewing the policy, however, as its financial fortunes were allegedly looking up.

People claiming to be Avecho employees believe there are intellectual assets that can be sold by the administrators.

On Friday they issued a statement in the hope of drawing the attention of any potential buyers. They remained anonymous because they were "frightened".

"[We] still have claims against Avecho for unpaid salaries, notice pay, expenses and so on. We must therefore declare a vested interest in seeing the best value achieved for Avecho in administration, so that these and many trade debts can be paid off," they said.

A former spokesperson for Avecho claimed it had over 500 SME customers who bought its software as a managed service. As of Friday the service appeared to be uninterrupted.®


Other stories you might like

  • Planning for power cuts? That's strictly for the birds

    Please Mr Hitchcock, no more. The UPS can't take it

    Who, Me? "Expect the unexpected" is a cliché regularly trotted out during disaster planning. But how far should those plans go? Welcome to an episode of Who, Me? where a reader finds an entirely new failure mode.

    Today's tale comes from "Brian" (not his name) and is set during a period when the US state of California was facing rolling blackouts.

    Our reader was working for a struggling hardware vendor in the state, a once mighty power now reduced to a mere 1,400 employees thanks to that old favourite of the HR axe-wielder: "restructuring."

    Continue reading
  • North Korea pulled in $400m in cryptocurrency heists last year – report

    Plus: FIFA 22 players lose their identity and Texas gets phony QR codes

    In brief Thieves operating for the North Korean government made off with almost $400m in digicash last year in a concerted attack to steal and launder as much currency as they could.

    A report from blockchain biz Chainalysis found that attackers were going after investment houses and currency exchanges in a bid to purloin funds and send them back to the Glorious Leader's coffers. They then use mixing software to make masses of micropayments to new wallets, before consolidating them all again into a new account and moving the funds.

    Bitcoin used to be a top target but Ether is now the most stolen currency, say the researchers, accounting for 58 per cent of the funds filched. Bitcoin accounted for just 20 per cent, a fall of more than 50 per cent since 2019 - although part of the reason might be that they are now so valuable people are taking more care with them.

    Continue reading
  • Tesla Full Self-Driving videos prompt California's DMV to rethink policy on accidents

    Plus: AI systems can identify different chess players by their moves and more

    In brief California’s Department of Motor Vehicles said it’s “revisiting” its opinion of whether Tesla’s so-called Full Self-Driving feature needs more oversight after a series of videos demonstrate how the technology can be dangerous.

    “Recent software updates, videos showing dangerous use of that technology, open investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the opinions of other experts in this space,” have made the DMV think twice about Tesla, according to a letter sent to California’s Senator Lena Gonzalez (D-Long Beach), chair of the Senate’s transportation committee, and first reported by the LA Times.

    Tesla isn’t required to report the number of crashes to California’s DMV unlike other self-driving car companies like Waymo or Cruise because it operates at lower levels of autonomy and requires human supervision. But that may change after videos like drivers having to take over to avoid accidentally swerving into pedestrians crossing the road or failing to detect a truck in the middle of the road continue circulating.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022