UK broadband vets see DSL connections cut

BT blamed for cock-up


Some of the UK's longest-serving ADSL customers have lost their broadband connections because of work being carried out by BT.

As many as 100 people, who were early trialists of broadband in the UK supplied by BT Wholesale, are understood to have been cut off this week.

Now ISPs are calling on BT Wholesale to halt the work until all those affected by the snag can be identified.

One of those who is without broadband told us: "I've been told that BT migrated 20,000 ADSL customers to an enhanced network on Monday of last week (Jan 23) and that approximately 100 of those customers have since had no service, and are unlikely to do so for another week. I am one of them and am struggling to get any leverage on BT or my ISP to get the full story and to get a resumption in the service."

El Reg has learned that BT Wholesale has been reconfiguring its exchanges for DSL customers, but didn't inform ISPs because it believed the work would not affect end users. The first ISPs knew of the problem was when they were contacted by their punters.

As a result of the work, punters who were trialists some four or five years ago have seen their broadband connection axed. The only way to get it resumed is for a "cease and reprovide" order to be placed, which can take at least five working days to complete.

ISPs claim this is unacceptable and want BT Wholesale to reinstate the affected line immediately.

One of those ISPs hit by the glitch is Demon, which has called on BT to resolve the problem urgently.

A spokeswoman for the ISP told us: "We are obviously very concerned that BT has chosen to carry out exchange reconfiguration work without first establishing if it is customer-affecting. The fact that a small number of our customers are without their DSL service because of this is unacceptable and we are pressurising BT to reprovide these services as a matter of urgency and not within their usual five day 'cease and reprovide' timescales.

"We are also seeking reassurance from BT that they will not carry out further reconfigurations at the exchanges until they have ascertained what customers will be affected and have a process in place to ensure that the 'cease and reprovide' process will be as seamless as possible for customers."

A spokeswoan for BT Wholesale said it was investigating the matter. ®

Similar topics

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

    Prosecution seems to be first of its kind in America

    A Tesla driver has seemingly become the first person in the US to be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a deadly crash in which the vehicle's Autopilot mode was engaged.

    According to the cops, the driver exited a highway in his Tesla Model S, ran a red light, and smashed into a Honda Civic at an intersection in Gardena, Los Angeles County, in late 2019. A man and woman in the second car were killed. The Tesla driver and a passenger survived and were taken to hospital.

    Prosecutors in California charged Kevin George Aziz Riad, 27, in October last year though details of the case are only just emerging, according to AP on Tuesday. Riad, a limousine service driver, is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and is free on bail after pleading not guilty.

    Continue reading
  • AMD returns to smartphone graphics with new Samsung chip for your pocket computer

    We're back in black

    AMD's GPU technology is returning to mobile handsets with Samsung's Exynos 2200 system-on-chip, which was announced on Tuesday.

    The Exynos 2200 processor, fabricated using a 4nm process, has Armv9 CPU cores and the oddly named Xclipse GPU, which is an adaptation of AMD's RDNA 2 mainstream GPU architecture.

    AMD was in the handheld GPU market until 2009, when it sold the Imageon GPU and handheld business for $65m to Qualcomm, which turned the tech into the Adreno GPU for its Snapdragon family. AMD's Imageon processors were used in devices from Motorola, Panasonic, Palm and others making Windows Mobile handsets.

    Continue reading
  • Big shock: Guy who fled political violence and became rich in tech now struggles to care about political violence

    'I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy,' billionaire VC admits

    Billionaire tech investor and ex-Facebook senior executive Chamath Palihapitiya was publicly blasted after he said nobody really cares about the reported human rights abuse of Uyghur Muslims in China.

    The blunt comments were made during the latest episode of All-In, a podcast in which Palihapitiya chats to investors and entrepreneurs Jason Calacanis, David Sacks, and David Friedberg about technology.

    The group were debating the Biden administration’s response to what's said to be China's crackdown of Uyghur Muslims when Palihapitiya interrupted and said: “Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? ... I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about … yes, it is below my line.”

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022