The collapse of New York's Twin Towers has been voted the "most memorable TV moment" of the last 50 years in a poll carried out by UK digital TV outfit Freeview.
The final top 10 has a decidedly Anglo-American feel, with the Moon landing, the funeral of the Sainted Lady Di, Python's Dead Parrot, and JFK's demise jostling for position. The outside world is represented by just one historic event: the fall of the Berlin Wall. Here's the full listing:
- Twin Towers collapse
- Princess Diana's funeral
- Moon landing
- Fall of the Berlin Wall
- Bob Geldof telling Live Aid viewers to "give us your fucking money"
- Two Ronnies' Four Candles sketch
- David Brent's dance from The Office
- Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch
- England's 1966 World Cup win
- Assassination of John F Kennedy
In case you're wondering just why Freeview chose to publish these fairly predictable results now, Reuters reckons it's to herald the fact that Whitehaven in Cumbria will this week become the first place to switch off its analogue telly signal in the run-up to the big digital switchover between 2008-12. ®
Sponsored: Webcast: Ransomware has gone nuclear