Gosling ready to kill-off lame duck J2ME

One Java to rule them all


James Gosling, godfather of the Java programming language, has expounded on the future of JavaFX Mobile, and it's a future which doesn't feature J2ME at all, as the micro edition is phased out over the next decade or so.

Back in April Sun bought SavaJe, which had pretty much got J2SE (Standard Edition) running on a mobile phone, but couldn't find anyone who wanted such a thing. Now that Sun owns an implementation it's decided everyone else should be giving up on J2ME and be porting J2SE everywhere.

"We're trying to converge everything to the Java SE specification. Cell phones and TV set-top boxes are growing up," said Mr Gosling last week at a cozy get-together with the San-Francisco blogging crowd.

The current problem is that mobile applications written in J2ME are only one rank above the WebApps that the iPhone can run, being very limited in what they can do. Google's decision to release Google Maps as a native Symbian application is typical - the Java version worked great, but couldn't get access to the GPS capability of some Symbian handsets, so Google had to go native.

Clever applications like Nokia's Conversation and ROK Talk need to be integrated into the user experience, which J2ME's sandbox security makes impossible.

Basing the entire phone on Java gets round these problems, but presents many more - the fact that J2SE completely lacks an API for GPS being a prime example. Operators, manufacturers, and resellers all looked at SavaJe, and many were impressed, but none eventually decided the concept was worth deploying.

Within operators the perception is that Java equals games, and it remains to be seen if a new name can change the industry's opinion. ®


Other stories you might like

  • Stolen university credentials up for sale by Russian crooks, FBI warns
    Forget dark-web souks, thousands of these are already being traded on public bazaars

    Russian crooks are selling network credentials and virtual private network access for a "multitude" of US universities and colleges on criminal marketplaces, according to the FBI.

    According to a warning issued on Thursday, these stolen credentials sell for thousands of dollars on both dark web and public internet forums, and could lead to subsequent cyberattacks against individual employees or the schools themselves.

    "The exposure of usernames and passwords can lead to brute force credential stuffing computer network attacks, whereby attackers attempt logins across various internet sites or exploit them for subsequent cyber attacks as criminal actors take advantage of users recycling the same credentials across multiple accounts, internet sites, and services," the Feds' alert [PDF] said.

    Continue reading
  • Big Tech loves talking up privacy – while trying to kill privacy legislation
    Study claims Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, Microsoft work to derail data rules

    Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft often support privacy in public statements, but behind the scenes they've been working through some common organizations to weaken or kill privacy legislation in US states.

    That's according to a report this week from news non-profit The Markup, which said the corporations hire lobbyists from the same few groups and law firms to defang or drown state privacy bills.

    The report examined 31 states when state legislatures were considering privacy legislation and identified 445 lobbyists and lobbying firms working on behalf of Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft, along with industry groups like TechNet and the State Privacy and Security Coalition.

    Continue reading
  • SEC probes Musk for not properly disclosing Twitter stake
    Meanwhile, social network's board rejects resignation of one its directors

    America's financial watchdog is investigating whether Elon Musk adequately disclosed his purchase of Twitter shares last month, just as his bid to take over the social media company hangs in the balance. 

    A letter [PDF] from the SEC addressed to the tech billionaire said he "[did] not appear" to have filed the proper form detailing his 9.2 percent stake in Twitter "required 10 days from the date of acquisition," and asked him to provide more information. Musk's shares made him one of Twitter's largest shareholders. The letter is dated April 4, and was shared this week by the regulator.

    Musk quickly moved to try and buy the whole company outright in a deal initially worth over $44 billion. Musk sold a chunk of his shares in Tesla worth $8.4 billion and bagged another $7.14 billion from investors to help finance the $21 billion he promised to put forward for the deal. The remaining $25.5 billion bill was secured via debt financing by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others. But the takeover is not going smoothly.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022