We're very much obliged to Oz's ABC News this morning for clarifying something which has been bothering us for some time: do frozen dogs present an explosion risk?
The answer is a chilling yes, as proved by the case of the Darwin pet crematorium which last night got an unscheduled visit from three fire trucks and police after "a passing motorist reported the premises were on fire".
In fact, the facility's chimney was ablaze, and once the authorities "confirmed flames were coming out of the flue", they called the owner.
ABC's report splendidly concludes: "He revealed that a frozen dead dog in the furnace was the cause of the overheating chimney, as frozen dogs sometimes explode when cremated."
The final outcome of the exploding frozen dog incident is not noted, and we are unable to provide details on the breed. ®
Thanks to Shane Rogers for the tip-off.