Nominet top brass reject resignation call

And deny calling in Mandelson


The executives in charge of Nominet, the not-for-profit company responsible for the .uk web address registry, have rejected calls from elected directors to resign and face a vote of confidence from members.

CEO Lesley Cowley told The Register that she and chairman Bob Gilbert would not call a company meeting in response to recent boardroom turmoil. It was up to members to trigger an emergency meeting if they want one, she added, saying "it's business as usual".

Cowley said she still believed she and Gilbert have the support of the majority of Nominet members. "Just because two people are not supportive that's not a basis on which to call a general meeting," she said.

The two people Cowley referred to are non-executive Nominet director Jim Davies and now former non-executive director Angus Hanton. Earlier this week Davies wrote he believed Cowley and Gilbert were mismanaging the company and called for them to quit. He was backed up on Wednesday by Hanton, who resigned his boardroom seat and said the executives should do the same.

The split has exposed deep conflicts around the .uk registry and drawn scrutiny of Nominet's corporate governance from the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR). Last month BERR wrote to the company board asking it to explain why it should be independent from Whitehall and noting that many other national registries are at least part controlled by their government.

Both sides say they would prefer civil servants to keep out of the running of .uk and Nominet has initiated a review of its structure.

Davies' and Hanton's critics have accused them of a deliberate attempt to destabilise the company on behalf on domainers - who buy up generic web address to sell on for profit - which they deny. Cowley said she didn't believe such allegations. "It's an unfortunate public disagreement on future direction," she said.

Jim Davies was elected on his agenda of cutting prices for members, but Hanton has said he resigned because of a specific staff disciplinary process that he believed was being mishandled.

Cowley said an independent person would be appointed next week to carry out the structural review. She specifically denied rumours that executives or anyone within Nominet had approached BERR for help following the election of Jim Davies to the board at May's AGM. She said she knew who had called in the government after members did not, but refused to identify them.

BERR became involved after a proposal at the AGM by the executive to assume powers to appoint unelected non-executive directors to represent the interests on non-members failed to attract enough support.

Cowley rejected further rumours that the executive would like the government to be directly involved in .uk governance, and reaffirmed its commitment to industry self regulation and Nominet's status as a membership organisation, but said: "We are not just here for the members buit for everyone who uses .uk. That is quite a challenging thing to do but that doesn't necessarily mean it's unsustainable in its current form."

Cowley refused to comment on the future of Jim Davies at Nominet. He has refused to sign an undertaking that he will avoid conflicts of interest arising from his work as a solicitor in domain name disputes. "The board will need to consider this further," she said. ®

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • Prisons transcribe private phone calls with inmates using speech-to-text AI

    Plus: A drug designed by machine learning algorithms to treat liver disease reaches human clinical trials and more

    In brief Prisons around the US are installing AI speech-to-text models to automatically transcribe conversations with inmates during their phone calls.

    A series of contracts and emails from eight different states revealed how Verus, an AI application developed by LEO Technologies and based on a speech-to-text system offered by Amazon, was used to eavesdrop on prisoners’ phone calls.

    In a sales pitch, LEO’s CEO James Sexton told officials working for a jail in Cook County, Illinois, that one of its customers in Calhoun County, Alabama, uses the software to protect prisons from getting sued, according to an investigation by the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

    Continue reading
  • Battlefield 2042: Please don't be the death knell of the franchise, please don't be the death knell of the franchise

    Another terrible launch, but DICE is already working on improvements

    The RPG Greetings, traveller, and welcome back to The Register Plays Games, our monthly gaming column. Since the last edition on New World, we hit level cap and the "endgame". Around this time, item duping exploits became rife and every attempt Amazon Games made to fix it just broke something else. The post-level 60 "watermark" system for gear drops is also infuriating and tedious, but not something we were able to address in the column. So bear these things in mind if you were ever tempted. On that note, it's time to look at another newly released shit show – Battlefield 2042.

    I wanted to love Battlefield 2042, I really did. After the bum note of the first-person shooter (FPS) franchise's return to Second World War theatres with Battlefield V (2018), I stupidly assumed the next entry from EA-owned Swedish developer DICE would be a return to form. I was wrong.

    The multiplayer military FPS market is dominated by two forces: Activision's Call of Duty (COD) series and EA's Battlefield. Fans of each franchise are loyal to the point of zealotry with little crossover between player bases. Here's where I stand: COD jumped the shark with Modern Warfare 2 in 2009. It's flip-flopped from WW2 to present-day combat and back again, tried sci-fi, and even the Battle Royale trend with the free-to-play Call of Duty: Warzone (2020), which has been thoroughly ruined by hackers and developer inaction.

    Continue reading
  • American diplomats' iPhones reportedly compromised by NSO Group intrusion software

    Reuters claims nine State Department employees outside the US had their devices hacked

    The Apple iPhones of at least nine US State Department officials were compromised by an unidentified entity using NSO Group's Pegasus spyware, according to a report published Friday by Reuters.

    NSO Group in an email to The Register said it has blocked an unnamed customers' access to its system upon receiving an inquiry about the incident but has yet to confirm whether its software was involved.

    "Once the inquiry was received, and before any investigation under our compliance policy, we have decided to immediately terminate relevant customers’ access to the system, due to the severity of the allegations," an NSO spokesperson told The Register in an email. "To this point, we haven’t received any information nor the phone numbers, nor any indication that NSO’s tools were used in this case."

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021