Innocent passengers targeted to protest subway agency

Anonymous punishes THE PEOPLE to protect them


Hacktivists protested recent controversial actions taken by a San Francisco regional subway authority by publishing sensitive information for more than 2,000 of passengers who had nothing to do with its agency's management.

Anonymous, the loose-knit hacking collective, breached the security of MyBart.org and published the names, street and email addresses, and site passwords for about 2,400 people who had set up accounts on the site. It's operated by BART, short for the Bay Area Rapid Transit. Database dumps such as the one here also included phone numbers for many users.

It was accompanied by a scathing note that said Anonymous took the action to protest two fatal police shootings in the past few years and the temporary suspension of cellphone service BART imposed on Thursday. BART officials said they took the action at at least four stations to thwart demonstrations that were being organized using mobile devices.

“It's just common sense that I shouldn't be the target,” one of the victims whose details were included in the data dump told The Register. “I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.” He asked that his name not be published in this article.

He said he received a “creepy” phone call on Sunday night from someone claiming to be a member of Anonymous who uttered “foul language, hushed tones and threats.” He said he has received no notification from BART representatives that his information was taken, contradicting claims officials made in a Sunday press release that “we notified those affected right away in case anyone tries to exploit the information.”

According to a note accompanying the published data, the user information was obtained after exploiting a SQL-injection vulnerability in the MyBart site. Such exploits typically allow attackers to enter powerful database commands into a web forum and get them executed by the site's back-end server.

“They set up this website called mybart.gov and they stored their members information with virtually no security,” the Anonymous screed stated, mislabeling the top-level domain of the compromised site as .gov instead of .org. “Any 8 year old with a internet connection could have done what we did to find it. On top of that none of the info, including the passwords, was encrypted. It is obvious that BART does no give a fuck about its customers, funders and tax payers,THE PEOPLE” [sic].

BART spokesman Linton Johnson said on a conference call with reporters that he wouldn't say whether the MyBart.org website had been tested by outside security auditors unless he received a public records request. He repeatedly characterized BART and its customers as "victims."

"The bottom line is we did not violate our customer security and their privacy rights," he said. "This group Anonymous did. This group Anonymous shares all the blame for violating not only the security but also for putting out people's private information on the web, jeopardizing their security."

He said BART officials have reported the breach to the FBI.

He didn't address the claim challenged by one of the MyBart.org users that all people affected by the breach had been immediately contacted. MyBart.org wasn't operational at time of writing.

The attack is the latest act of politically minded hacking to be attributed to Anonymous, which recently has taken credit for data dumps affecting thousands of US law-enforcement officers, an attack on a US government contractor, and a claimed breach of an Italian computer crime unit.

The weekend hack followed BART's admission on Friday that it had suspended cellular service at San Francisco stations the night before to disrupt a planned demonstration protesting the fatal police shooting in July of a passenger accused of brandishing a knife and charging at BART police officers.

Officials admitted they disconnected nodes of cellular antennas used at several San Francisco stations. They said they took the action to prevent overcrowding and other unsafe conditions in the paid areas of its system and that service was restored a few hours later. Cellular service outside the stations was unaffected.

Civil libertarians, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation have blasted the move and drawn comparisons to former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who ordered the shut down of cellular service in Cairo to quell recent protests against his rule. A California state senator has called on the Federal Communications Commission to investigate the black out.

After this article was first published, FCC officials said they were looking in to the move by BART.

"Any time communications services are interrupted, we seek to assess the situation," FCC spokesman Neil Grace said in a statement. "We are continuing to collect information about BART's actions and will be taking steps to hear from stakeholders about the important issues those actions raised, including protecting public safety and ensuring the availability of communications networks."

What we're left with here is a drama that seems replete with antagonists and no heroes.

BART's Johnson repeatedly insisted that BART officials should shoulder no responsibility for the breach, even though it would appear they left the site open to some of the most rudimentary of attacks. We've written before about the unfounded trust people place in the websites they use and the wisdom of withholding, whenever possible, any personally identifiable information. Until BART is more forthcoming about how it secures its passengers' data, add its websites to this long list.

Then you have the perpetrators of the attack pretending that they've done the world a favor by exposing the private information of thousands of people who did nothing more than rely on the transit agency to get around. ®

This story was updated to include information provided by BART spokesman Linton Johnson and the FCC.


Other stories you might like

  • Lonestar plans to put datacenters in the Moon's lava tubes
    How? Founder tells The Register 'Robots… lots of robots'

    Imagine a future where racks of computer servers hum quietly in darkness below the surface of the Moon.

    Here is where some of the most important data is stored, to be left untouched for as long as can be. The idea sounds like something from science-fiction, but one startup that recently emerged from stealth is trying to turn it into a reality. Lonestar Data Holdings has a unique mission unlike any other cloud provider: to build datacenters on the Moon backing up the world's data.

    "It's inconceivable to me that we are keeping our most precious assets, our knowledge and our data, on Earth, where we're setting off bombs and burning things," Christopher Stott, founder and CEO of Lonestar, told The Register. "We need to put our assets in place off our planet, where we can keep it safe."

    Continue reading
  • Conti: Russian-backed rulers of Costa Rican hacktocracy?
    Also, Chinese IT admin jailed for deleting database, and the NSA promises no more backdoors

    In brief The notorious Russian-aligned Conti ransomware gang has upped the ante in its attack against Costa Rica, threatening to overthrow the government if it doesn't pay a $20 million ransom. 

    Costa Rican president Rodrigo Chaves said that the country is effectively at war with the gang, who in April infiltrated the government's computer systems, gaining a foothold in 27 agencies at various government levels. The US State Department has offered a $15 million reward leading to the capture of Conti's leaders, who it said have made more than $150 million from 1,000+ victims.

    Conti claimed this week that it has insiders in the Costa Rican government, the AP reported, warning that "We are determined to overthrow the government by means of a cyber attack, we have already shown you all the strength and power, you have introduced an emergency." 

    Continue reading
  • China-linked Twisted Panda caught spying on Russian defense R&D
    Because Beijing isn't above covert ops to accomplish its five-year goals

    Chinese cyberspies targeted two Russian defense institutes and possibly another research facility in Belarus, according to Check Point Research.

    The new campaign, dubbed Twisted Panda, is part of a larger, state-sponsored espionage operation that has been ongoing for several months, if not nearly a year, according to the security shop.

    In a technical analysis, the researchers detail the various malicious stages and payloads of the campaign that used sanctions-related phishing emails to attack Russian entities, which are part of the state-owned defense conglomerate Rostec Corporation.

    Continue reading
  • FTC signals crackdown on ed-tech harvesting kid's data
    Trade watchdog, and President, reminds that COPPA can ban ya

    The US Federal Trade Commission on Thursday said it intends to take action against educational technology companies that unlawfully collect data from children using online educational services.

    In a policy statement, the agency said, "Children should not have to needlessly hand over their data and forfeit their privacy in order to do their schoolwork or participate in remote learning, especially given the wide and increasing adoption of ed tech tools."

    The agency says it will scrutinize educational service providers to ensure that they are meeting their legal obligations under COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

    Continue reading
  • Mysterious firm seeks to buy majority stake in Arm China
    Chinese joint venture's ousted CEO tries to hang on - who will get control?

    The saga surrounding Arm's joint venture in China just took another intriguing turn: a mysterious firm named Lotcap Group claims it has signed a letter of intent to buy a 51 percent stake in Arm China from existing investors in the country.

    In a Chinese-language press release posted Wednesday, Lotcap said it has formed a subsidiary, Lotcap Fund, to buy a majority stake in the joint venture. However, reporting by one newspaper suggested that the investment firm still needs the approval of one significant investor to gain 51 percent control of Arm China.

    The development comes a couple of weeks after Arm China said that its former CEO, Allen Wu, was refusing once again to step down from his position, despite the company's board voting in late April to replace Wu with two co-chief executives. SoftBank Group, which owns 49 percent of the Chinese venture, has been trying to unentangle Arm China from Wu as the Japanese tech investment giant plans for an initial public offering of the British parent company.

    Continue reading
  • SmartNICs power the cloud, are enterprise datacenters next?
    High pricing, lack of software make smartNICs a tough sell, despite offload potential

    SmartNICs have the potential to accelerate enterprise workloads, but don't expect to see them bring hyperscale-class efficiency to most datacenters anytime soon, ZK Research's Zeus Kerravala told The Register.

    SmartNICs are widely deployed in cloud and hyperscale datacenters as a means to offload input/output (I/O) intensive network, security, and storage operations from the CPU, freeing it up to run revenue generating tenant workloads. Some more advanced chips even offload the hypervisor to further separate the infrastructure management layer from the rest of the server.

    Despite relative success in the cloud and a flurry of innovation from the still-limited vendor SmartNIC ecosystem, including Mellanox (Nvidia), Intel, Marvell, and Xilinx (AMD), Kerravala argues that the use cases for enterprise datacenters are unlikely to resemble those of the major hyperscalers, at least in the near term.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022