Jobs: 'I'll spend my dying breath destroying Android'

Threatened $40bn war over rival mobe OS, slated Google


Never one to pussyfoot around his deep hatred for rivals and traitors, Steve Jobs chucked some choice epithets at Google boss Eric Schmidt and his products after the Apple-Google rift opened in 2007.

Android made Jobs furious, according to snippets from a new biography Steve Jobs as reported by AP. When the Google mobile OS launched in November 2007, 10 months after the iPhone in January of that year, he accused Schmidt of copying the Jesus mobe and committing "a grand theft".

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs said.

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this," Jobs told biographer Walter Issacson in an interview in 2010, following the launch of a new 'droid-powered HTC handset.

Schmidt had served on Apple's board all the way through the launch of the iPhone, so Jobs took the Android development as a betrayal, arguing that Apple never interfered with Google's core business.

Jobs' strong opinions on Google products were not confined to mobile; he described all their products outside of internet search as a pile of excrement. Google Docs came in for some heavy criticism.

And perhaps worst of all ... Jobs compared them to Microsoft. Tweeting AP journo Michael Liedtke reported:

Jobs told Page Google had been putting out too many products "that are adequate but not great. They're turning you into Microsoft". Ouch

For those interested in the personal relationships between the men who shaped tech world, before he died earlier this month, Jobs hadn't (at least publicly) forgiven Schmidt, but had warmed to Larry. Larry had gone to Jobs for advice on being a great CEO.

Liedtke added:

Jobs says he initially wanted to say "f-you" to Page, but remembered how Bill Hewlett [had] advised him when he was young

Steve Jobs, published by Simon & Schuster, will go on sale on Monday. ®


Other stories you might like

  • Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

    Prosecution seems to be first of its kind in America

    A Tesla driver has seemingly become the first person in the US to be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a deadly crash in which the vehicle's Autopilot mode was engaged.

    According to the cops, the driver exited a highway in his Tesla Model S, ran a red light, and smashed into a Honda Civic at an intersection in Gardena, Los Angeles County, in late 2019. A man and woman in the second car were killed. The Tesla driver and a passenger survived and were taken to hospital.

    Prosecutors in California charged Kevin George Aziz Riad, 27, in October last year though details of the case are only just emerging, according to AP on Tuesday. Riad, a limousine service driver, is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and is free on bail after pleading not guilty.

    Continue reading
  • AMD returns to smartphone graphics with new Samsung chip for your pocket computer

    We're back in black

    AMD's GPU technology is returning to mobile handsets with Samsung's Exynos 2200 system-on-chip, which was announced on Tuesday.

    The Exynos 2200 processor, fabricated using a 4nm process, has Armv9 CPU cores and the oddly named Xclipse GPU, which is an adaptation of AMD's RDNA 2 mainstream GPU architecture.

    AMD was in the handheld GPU market until 2009, when it sold the Imageon GPU and handheld business for $65m to Qualcomm, which turned the tech into the Adreno GPU for its Snapdragon family. AMD's Imageon processors were used in devices from Motorola, Panasonic, Palm and others making Windows Mobile handsets.

    Continue reading
  • Big shock: Guy who fled political violence and became rich in tech now struggles to care about political violence

    'I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy,' billionaire VC admits

    Billionaire tech investor and ex-Facebook senior executive Chamath Palihapitiya was publicly blasted after he said nobody really cares about the reported human rights abuse of Uyghur Muslims in China.

    The blunt comments were made during the latest episode of All-In, a podcast in which Palihapitiya chats to investors and entrepreneurs Jason Calacanis, David Sacks, and David Friedberg about technology.

    The group were debating the Biden administration’s response to what's said to be China's crackdown of Uyghur Muslims when Palihapitiya interrupted and said: “Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? ... I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about … yes, it is below my line.”

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022