Swedish password hacking scandal widens

210,000 login details dumped ...


Sweden suffered its worst internet security breach in history, with over 210,000 login details across least 60 websites made public, including personal identity numbers of journalists, MPs and celebrities.

On Tuesday, at least 90,000 passwords of the popular Swedish blog Bloggtoppen were exposed through a Twitter account of former Swedish Democrat and now independent MP William Petzäll. His lawyer told Swedish newspapers his Twitter account was also hacked. Bloggtoppen has been shut down temporarily. Its owner believes hackers "discovered a weakness in the code that lies behind the service".

Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder, safety manager for the top domain holder Internet infrastructure Foundation, said it was "one of the biggest attacks ever".

Many login details belonged to Moderate Party members, including several MPs and party secretary Sofia Arkelsten, but members of the Liberal Party were also affected. Other victims include journalists from several major news publications.

Aftonbladet today reported that another 57 websites have been hacked, which makes it the biggest security breach in Swedish history.

However, the paper also cites Ramak Seyedpour, owner of Affelix Media AB, who claims the breaches are old and that hackers just dumped the data they gathered last year. Seyedpour told the paper: "Despite the fact that we had an ip address that was linked to a proxy server in Sweden, the investigation took too long and nothing was done."

Swedish newspaper Expressen contacted the hacker, known as sc3a5j, and was told: "I dumped this information to let people know that they handle their information wrongly. Many web pages are not up to scratch. And consumers need to know they should never use the same [passwords] for different services on the web. This is how we got into Twitter accounts as well.”

"I am surprised that this still occurs," Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder told Aftenbladet. "Developers should know basic safety requirements. They must know what they are doing and keep track of information they manage."

The Swedish security service Säpo told The Register it will not investigate the case, and added: “Stockholm Police will deal with the matter.” ®

Similar topics

Narrower topics


Other stories you might like

  • Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

    Prosecution seems to be first of its kind in America

    A Tesla driver has seemingly become the first person in the US to be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a deadly crash in which the vehicle's Autopilot mode was engaged.

    According to the cops, the driver exited a highway in his Tesla Model S, ran a red light, and smashed into a Honda Civic at an intersection in Gardena, Los Angeles County, in late 2019. A man and woman in the second car were killed. The Tesla driver and a passenger survived and were taken to hospital.

    Prosecutors in California charged Kevin George Aziz Riad, 27, in October last year though details of the case are only just emerging, according to AP on Tuesday. Riad, a limousine service driver, is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and is free on bail after pleading not guilty.

    Continue reading
  • AMD returns to smartphone graphics with new Samsung chip for your pocket computer

    We're back in black

    AMD's GPU technology is returning to mobile handsets with Samsung's Exynos 2200 system-on-chip, which was announced on Tuesday.

    The Exynos 2200 processor, fabricated using a 4nm process, has Armv9 CPU cores and the oddly named Xclipse GPU, which is an adaptation of AMD's RDNA 2 mainstream GPU architecture.

    AMD was in the handheld GPU market until 2009, when it sold the Imageon GPU and handheld business for $65m to Qualcomm, which turned the tech into the Adreno GPU for its Snapdragon family. AMD's Imageon processors were used in devices from Motorola, Panasonic, Palm and others making Windows Mobile handsets.

    Continue reading
  • Big shock: Guy who fled political violence and became rich in tech now struggles to care about political violence

    'I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy,' billionaire VC admits

    Billionaire tech investor and ex-Facebook senior executive Chamath Palihapitiya was publicly blasted after he said nobody really cares about the reported human rights abuse of Uyghur Muslims in China.

    The blunt comments were made during the latest episode of All-In, a podcast in which Palihapitiya chats to investors and entrepreneurs Jason Calacanis, David Sacks, and David Friedberg about technology.

    The group were debating the Biden administration’s response to what's said to be China's crackdown of Uyghur Muslims when Palihapitiya interrupted and said: “Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? ... I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about … yes, it is below my line.”

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022