EC competition concerns stall UK's superfast broadband plans

Scrutiny of BT and Fujitsu deals 'will not delay rollout', insists gov


Competition officials in Europe have stalled the UK government's plans to lay superfast fibre optic networks for 90 per cent of homes and businesses in the country by 2015.

However, a spokesman at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport insisted that the next generation broadband rollout would not be delayed as a result of the Brussels' intervention.

"We are working with the Commission to finalise agreement on state aid. We remain on schedule to meet the 2015 target," the DCMS spokesman told The Register.

On Tuesday, broadband minister Ed Vaizey confirmed that BT and Fujitsu were the only two suppliers to have inked contracts to gain access to millions of pounds-worth of gov broadband funds.

The companies had been whittled down from a shortlist of nine telcos. As we've previously reported, many smaller suppliers have complained that the red tape involved with securing government investment had proved too daunting.

On 19 June, Vaizey said:

It was whether or not companies felt confident they could make the investment and whether there was a business case for them actually being involved. You had a range of people who came to our open days to talk about the issue.

Then you had nine who wanted to go to the next stage of it, a bit like the European Cup, and they fell away. The closer you get to being at the point of signing a framework tender document, the businesses themselves have to think very hard, 'Is this the game we want to be in?'

Hyperoptic co-founder Dana Pressman Tobak told us last week that too many "conditions" had been assigned to the bidding process, in effect pushing out smaller telcos.

Just yesterday, Vaizey doggedly dismissed such comments. He told a committee of MPs that he hadn't "had a queue of local authorities coming through my door and telling me it [the bidding process] was complex."

The minister added: "We have a legal obligation to ensure that procurement is undertaken in the right way... people will always complain about the bureaucracy."

Broadband Delivery UK boss Robert Sullivan further pointed out that the process was not mandated by saying that it was ultimately "down to choice among local councils."

It was a comment echoed by the DCMS to El Reg today.

"Councils don't have to use the framework. They can choose to run their own procurement process if they wish. We expect most will use the framework as it will be quicker and cheaper," the DCMS spokesman said.

But the fact remains that competition officials in Brussels are at loggerheads with the UK government. Furthermore, the EC is currently seeking public views on draft guidelines for broadband networks.

In June, it said:

The draft proposes to focus investments on infrastructure elements that are not directly related to the transmission of services, such as ducts or dark fibre (passive infrastructure). Investments into passive infrastructure are particularly expensive.

If such investments are financed through public funds, the infrastructure will be available indiscriminately to all service providers who intend to enter the market. This, in turn, will foster competition, in particular for very high speed broadband networks and contribute to improving broadband services and reducing prices for European consumers.

But it's unlikely that BT will rent out its dark fibre on a wholesale basis to rivals such as BSkyB and TalkTalk, and Ofcom has also declined to intervene on the matter.

The DCMS stressed to The Reg this morning that there remained "a great deal of preparatory work that councils can do" while it awaits a decision from the EC. But there'll be no "spades in the ground" until the impasse is dealt with.

Just yesterday, the Country Land & Business Association (CLA) warned that the "rural-urban digital divide" faced further delays.

"We recognise that delivering this type of infrastructure is not easy but it is unlikely the government will meet these objectives," claimed CLA president Harry Cotterell.

"The BDUK process is too bureaucratic and the allocation of the £530m funding too slow. It would be much simpler if the funding was allocated centrally rather than giving it directly to local authorities because they do not have the resource to plan for a superfast broadband network."

We asked the EC's competition office to provide a statement for this story, but it hadn't returned our request for comment at time of writing.

A BT spokesman said: "Discussions between the UK government and the commission continue on the issue of state aid. This is an EU issue as the commission is developing rules that need to work across Europe as well as taking the different conditions in the UK into consideration.

"We are working with the UK authorities for an outcome that both incentivises further investment in fibre broadband and delivers vibrant competition in broadband services."

Fujitsu declined to comment. ®

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • Prisons transcribe private phone calls with inmates using speech-to-text AI

    Plus: A drug designed by machine learning algorithms to treat liver disease reaches human clinical trials and more

    In brief Prisons around the US are installing AI speech-to-text models to automatically transcribe conversations with inmates during their phone calls.

    A series of contracts and emails from eight different states revealed how Verus, an AI application developed by LEO Technologies and based on a speech-to-text system offered by Amazon, was used to eavesdrop on prisoners’ phone calls.

    In a sales pitch, LEO’s CEO James Sexton told officials working for a jail in Cook County, Illinois, that one of its customers in Calhoun County, Alabama, uses the software to protect prisons from getting sued, according to an investigation by the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

    Continue reading
  • Battlefield 2042: Please don't be the death knell of the franchise, please don't be the death knell of the franchise

    Another terrible launch, but DICE is already working on improvements

    The RPG Greetings, traveller, and welcome back to The Register Plays Games, our monthly gaming column. Since the last edition on New World, we hit level cap and the "endgame". Around this time, item duping exploits became rife and every attempt Amazon Games made to fix it just broke something else. The post-level 60 "watermark" system for gear drops is also infuriating and tedious, but not something we were able to address in the column. So bear these things in mind if you were ever tempted. On that note, it's time to look at another newly released shit show – Battlefield 2042.

    I wanted to love Battlefield 2042, I really did. After the bum note of the first-person shooter (FPS) franchise's return to Second World War theatres with Battlefield V (2018), I stupidly assumed the next entry from EA-owned Swedish developer DICE would be a return to form. I was wrong.

    The multiplayer military FPS market is dominated by two forces: Activision's Call of Duty (COD) series and EA's Battlefield. Fans of each franchise are loyal to the point of zealotry with little crossover between player bases. Here's where I stand: COD jumped the shark with Modern Warfare 2 in 2009. It's flip-flopped from WW2 to present-day combat and back again, tried sci-fi, and even the Battle Royale trend with the free-to-play Call of Duty: Warzone (2020), which has been thoroughly ruined by hackers and developer inaction.

    Continue reading
  • American diplomats' iPhones reportedly compromised by NSO Group intrusion software

    Reuters claims nine State Department employees outside the US had their devices hacked

    The Apple iPhones of at least nine US State Department officials were compromised by an unidentified entity using NSO Group's Pegasus spyware, according to a report published Friday by Reuters.

    NSO Group in an email to The Register said it has blocked an unnamed customers' access to its system upon receiving an inquiry about the incident but has yet to confirm whether its software was involved.

    "Once the inquiry was received, and before any investigation under our compliance policy, we have decided to immediately terminate relevant customers’ access to the system, due to the severity of the allegations," an NSO spokesperson told The Register in an email. "To this point, we haven’t received any information nor the phone numbers, nor any indication that NSO’s tools were used in this case."

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021