It's another episode of El Reg's enterprise tech cast, with your hosts Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela. Our special guest this week is Ian Ferguson, vice-president of Segment Marketing at ARM, who talks about the growth of the chip-design company from 12 people in a barn to mobile computing dominance - and the data centre is next on the todo list.
How this RISCy technology can compete against custom-built x86-powered servers is discussed during the show. "Over my dead body will ARM make chips," said Ferguson, pointing out ARM designs processor cores and leaves the manufacturing to its customers. He added that 64bit tech is coming during a grilling from the podcast cast.
This week we cover:
- Eddie is still burned out
- ARM in the enterprise
- Breaking down the ARM ecosystem
- Managing expectation for ARM
- VMware reports growth, gets hammered in the financial market
- Big layoffs, big hires at VMware
- Dell buyout getting a little quieter
Listen with the Reg player below, or download here.
Podcast Subscriber Links