This article is more than 1 year old
Beijing fanboi in coma after iPhone 4 shock treatment
Another jolt for Apple after 30-year-old knocked out charging handset
A 30-year old man has been in a coma in a Beijing hospital for over ten days after being electrocuted whilst charging his iPhone 4, the second such incident reported in China this week.
Wu Jiantong is now breathing unassisted and undergoing hyperbaric oxygen treatment in an effort to help his brain recover, according to Beijing Evening News.
Wu’s sister told the paper she heard him scream “I’m being electrocuted” as he tried to connect his iPhone 4 to a charger, and found him convulsing on the floor, foaming at the mouth.
She unplugged the charger after feeling an electric current run through her body, we're told, and called paramedics who revived Wu with CPR.
A doctor at the Beijing hospital he was taken to diagnosed the cause of his injuries as an electric shock, the report reads.
The handset and charger in question didn’t show any signs of damage, however the latter was not an “official” Apple peripheral.
Wu’s family told Beijing Evening News that on the night in question the air inside his apartment was humid, which may not have been good for the charger’s wiring.
The incident is the second in a week to emerge from China, after a 23-year-old former air stewardess died after being electrocuted as she answered her iPhone 5 while it was charging.
In Chongqing, meanwhile, an iPhone 4 exploded while its owner was asleep, setting fire to his bed.
Apple couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. ®