Apple has recalled an iPhone charger over fears it could burn down fanbois' houses.
Although the fruity firm stopped short of warning of imminent conflagrations, it euphemistically said that certain models of the Apple 5W European USB power adapters "may overheat and pose a safety risk"
Anyone concerned about their charger should look at the label between the prongs. If it shows the words Model A1300 and the letters “CE”, it's time to panic. Abandon the charger in an unpopulated area and the military will attempt to detonate it from a distance with bazookas. Oh no, wait, actually get thee down to the Apple store and get your plug exchanged.
If the model number is A1400, rest easy and charge away without fear.
The dangerous adapter came with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S models shipped between October 2009 to September 2012 in a number of countries including Blighty and various other European countries.
In a statement, Apple said:
"Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to exchange every affected power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter, free of charge. We encourage customers to exchange any affected adapter for a new one as soon as possible using the exchange process below."
The internet loves an exploding Apple story. A few years back one poor chap was almost burned alive after an iPod Nano exploded in his trousers. This sparked (sorry) a similar trend in Japan, where a number of other iPod Nanos also went pop.
And who can forget the iPad that exploded in the land down under ? That's one hot piece of consumer technology. ®