Nokia France leak: Windows Phone DUMPED in Microsoft Lumia revamp

Haricots renversés sur Facebook


The French wing of Microsoft's Nokia mobile device division appears to have confirmed some Windows Phone rebranding efforts that have been rumored for the past few months.

Earlier this year, leaked legal documents related to Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's Devices and Services business revealed that Redmond was only given 18 months to use the Nokia brand for its smartphones before it reverted to the exclusive property of Finnish telecoms firm Nokia Oy.

What would replace the Nokia name, however, was anybody's guess. But the most logical move seemed to be for Microsoft to keep using the Lumia trademark but market any new devices under its own brand.

On Tuesday, Nokia France appeared to confirm that this is exactly what's going to happen. In a post to its official Facebook page, the company said to expect a message in the coming days about rebranding the page to "Microsoft Lumia."

Assuming the note – which has been pinned to the top of Nokia France's page – isn't some awful mix-up, it's the most concrete evidence yet of Redmond's mobile branding plans. In September, the software giant shifted the UK version of Nokia.com over to a new Microsoft Mobile Devices site, but it had nothing much to say about the fate of the Nokia brand.

Screenshot of Nokia France's Facebook page showing Windows Phone branding changes

Windows Phone no more? Nokia France's Facebook page suggests unified Windows branding is coming soon

Nokia France may also have inadvertently confirmed another rumor that's been making the rounds, which is that Microsoft is planning to drop the name Windows Phone from future handsets and unify its desktop, server, and mobile operating systems under a single Windows brand.

The image at the top of the Nokia France Facebook page on Wednesday was an advertisement for the Lumia 930, and the copy read, "Une experience unique. Avec Windows" – note, not "avec Windows Phone."

The Register has asked Microsoft to confirm the branding changes, but there's been no official word so far. ®

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Deepfake attacks can easily trick live facial recognition systems online
    Plus: Next PyTorch release will support Apple GPUs so devs can train neural networks on their own laptops

    In brief Miscreants can easily steal someone else's identity by tricking live facial recognition software using deepfakes, according to a new report.

    Sensity AI, a startup focused on tackling identity fraud, carried out a series of pretend attacks. Engineers scanned the image of someone from an ID card, and mapped their likeness onto another person's face. Sensity then tested whether they could breach live facial recognition systems by tricking them into believing the pretend attacker is a real user.

    So-called "liveness tests" try to authenticate identities in real-time, relying on images or video streams from cameras like face recognition used to unlock mobile phones, for example. Nine out of ten vendors failed Sensity's live deepfake attacks.

    Continue reading
  • Lonestar plans to put datacenters in the Moon's lava tubes
    How? Founder tells The Register 'Robots… lots of robots'

    Imagine a future where racks of computer servers hum quietly in darkness below the surface of the Moon.

    Here is where some of the most important data is stored, to be left untouched for as long as can be. The idea sounds like something from science-fiction, but one startup that recently emerged from stealth is trying to turn it into a reality. Lonestar Data Holdings has a unique mission unlike any other cloud provider: to build datacenters on the Moon backing up the world's data.

    "It's inconceivable to me that we are keeping our most precious assets, our knowledge and our data, on Earth, where we're setting off bombs and burning things," Christopher Stott, founder and CEO of Lonestar, told The Register. "We need to put our assets in place off our planet, where we can keep it safe."

    Continue reading
  • Conti: Russian-backed rulers of Costa Rican hacktocracy?
    Also, Chinese IT admin jailed for deleting database, and the NSA promises no more backdoors

    In brief The notorious Russian-aligned Conti ransomware gang has upped the ante in its attack against Costa Rica, threatening to overthrow the government if it doesn't pay a $20 million ransom. 

    Costa Rican president Rodrigo Chaves said that the country is effectively at war with the gang, who in April infiltrated the government's computer systems, gaining a foothold in 27 agencies at various government levels. The US State Department has offered a $15 million reward leading to the capture of Conti's leaders, who it said have made more than $150 million from 1,000+ victims.

    Conti claimed this week that it has insiders in the Costa Rican government, the AP reported, warning that "We are determined to overthrow the government by means of a cyber attack, we have already shown you all the strength and power, you have introduced an emergency." 

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022