Oh no, you're thinking, yet another cookie pop-up. Well, sorry, it's the law. We measure how many people read us, and ensure you see relevant ads, by storing cookies on your device. If you're cool with that, hit “Accept all Cookies”. For more info and to customize your settings, hit “Customize Settings”.

Review and manage your consent

Here's an overview of our use of cookies, similar technologies and how to manage them. You can also change your choices at any time, by hitting the “Your Consent Options” link on the site's footer.

Manage Cookie Preferences
  • These cookies are strictly necessary so that you can navigate the site as normal and use all features. Without these cookies we cannot provide you with the service that you expect.

  • These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.

  • These cookies collect information in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used. They allow us to count visits and traffic sources so that we can measure and improve the performance of our sites. If people say no to these cookies, we do not know how many people have visited and we cannot monitor performance.

See also our Cookie policy and Privacy policy.

This article is more than 1 year old

Hackers seize Detroit's database, demand $800k. Motor City shrugs: OK, take it

Bitcoin blackmail backfire bungle

Hackers seized a database from the City of Detroit earlier this year before unsuccessfully demanding $800,000 in Bitcoin.

The failed extortion attempt back in April was disclosed by Detroit mayor Mike Duggan at the North American International Cyber Summit conference on Monday.

The stolen database wasn’t needed by the cash-strapped city so the ransom was never paid, according to local reports.

“It was a good warning sign for us,” Duggan told conference delegates.

The mechanism of the attack, much less who might be behind it, is unclear.

Duggan, who was elected as the chief exec of Motor City after a bankruptcy filing last year, said the hackers demanded 2,000 Bitcoins ($803,000) as ransom for the database.

US municipalities are at the coalface of hacker attacks, with threats including ransomware infections now major problems. Duggan estimates security improvements and upgrades to obsolete systems are needed across the board, not least in his own city.

“It was pretty disturbing what I found,” the mayor said, RT reports. “I found the Microsoft Office system we had was about 10 years old and couldn’t sync the calendar to my phone.”

“We’re in the early stages of ramping up,” he added.

Michigan state governor Rick Snyder told summit delegates that the state's Cyber Civilian Corp (IT experts trained in security incident response) would be expanded to a dozen teams to deal with increasing threats, AP reports. ®

 

Similar topics

TIP US OFF

Send us news


Other stories you might like