Take two mobes into the shower? I didn't before, but I do now

Dual-SIM iPhone device is actually another, smaller phone in disguise


First Look A Kickstarter project to produce a dual-SIM iPhone is really a separate phone which the iPhone connects to via Bluetooth.

The Kickstarter campaign for the 'PIECE' claims it will “Change The Way You Use Smart Phones”.

It goes on: “Carrying two phones isnconvenient! [sic] It is not fashionable or stylish; it costs a lot and is a waste of space.” The solution – rather than carry two phones, carry one phone and this gizmo.

This cuts down the number of devices you need to carry by a total of zero. That said, this thingy is a lot smaller than an iPhone, because it doesn’t have a screen or any of the functionality of a smartphone. The campaign claims that the device allows you to attach a second SIM to your iPhone.

What you are actually doing is attaching a separate GSM phone to your iPhone, like a Mi-Fi for voice.

Alex Ng, the project manager at Smartgears Global, told The Register that “PIECE is a GSM and Bluetooth module. It connects to your phone by Bluetooth 4.0. Once you have inserted a SIM into PIECE you can answer and make phone calls on your primary phone."

Because the module is GSM, there is no support for 3G, 4G or any kind of data when you use your second SIM. It’s not suitable for the common dual-SIM solution of having a local SIM for roaming.

All control of the module is through an iPhone app. Calls made through the second SIM are through the PIECE app; calls from the main SIM are made in the standard way.

The idea is that because the gizmo can fit in your wallet, you can ignore the fact that it is there. It has some interesting extra features such as using the module as a remote control for taking selfies and a tether so that if your wallet and phone are separated by more than 15m, the phone beeps.

You can press a button on the module to make the phone ring and in the app to make the PIECE beep.

There may well also be an Android version, but you have to wonder why, if someone wants a dual-SIM Android phone, they don’t just buy one. ®

Similar topics

Broader topics

Narrower topics


Other stories you might like

  • Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

    Prosecution seems to be first of its kind in America

    A Tesla driver has seemingly become the first person in the US to be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a deadly crash in which the vehicle's Autopilot mode was engaged.

    According to the cops, the driver exited a highway in his Tesla Model S, ran a red light, and smashed into a Honda Civic at an intersection in Gardena, Los Angeles County, in late 2019. A man and woman in the second car were killed. The Tesla driver and a passenger survived and were taken to hospital.

    Prosecutors in California charged Kevin George Aziz Riad, 27, in October last year though details of the case are only just emerging, according to AP on Tuesday. Riad, a limousine service driver, is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and is free on bail after pleading not guilty.

    Continue reading
  • AMD returns to smartphone graphics with new Samsung chip for your pocket computer

    We're back in black

    AMD's GPU technology is returning to mobile handsets with Samsung's Exynos 2200 system-on-chip, which was announced on Tuesday.

    The Exynos 2200 processor, fabricated using a 4nm process, has Armv9 CPU cores and the oddly named Xclipse GPU, which is an adaptation of AMD's RDNA 2 mainstream GPU architecture.

    AMD was in the handheld GPU market until 2009, when it sold the Imageon GPU and handheld business for $65m to Qualcomm, which turned the tech into the Adreno GPU for its Snapdragon family. AMD's Imageon processors were used in devices from Motorola, Panasonic, Palm and others making Windows Mobile handsets.

    Continue reading
  • Big shock: Guy who fled political violence and became rich in tech now struggles to care about political violence

    'I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy,' billionaire VC admits

    Billionaire tech investor and ex-Facebook senior executive Chamath Palihapitiya was publicly blasted after he said nobody really cares about the reported human rights abuse of Uyghur Muslims in China.

    The blunt comments were made during the latest episode of All-In, a podcast in which Palihapitiya chats to investors and entrepreneurs Jason Calacanis, David Sacks, and David Friedberg about technology.

    The group were debating the Biden administration’s response to what's said to be China's crackdown of Uyghur Muslims when Palihapitiya interrupted and said: “Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? ... I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about … yes, it is below my line.”

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022