This article is more than 1 year old
Caption this: WIN a 6TB Western Digital Black hard drive with El Reg
Yoga woman exercised readers' minds
Caption Competition Wow, what bumper crop of captions this week, it seems that El Reg readers are pretty flexible when it comes to posting thoughts on gymnastic computer users.
Thanks again to the regular posters, no doubt driven on by the knowledge that last week’s winner had already won once.
Quite a few referenced the Lenovo Yoga device ...
Electron Shepherd: "The best way to use your new Lenovo Yoga."
Frumious Bandersnatch: "Alas, Twoflower couldn't afford a Yoga tablet, but she would have to make do."
excession: "Sally's new Yoga Pad proved challenging to use, but the Yoga is not the only laptop that might have you adopting strange positions."
g e: "This ASUS Zenbook is more work than I expected."
And the Hot IT topic is the pain we are all experiencing with Windows 10 forcing itself upon us.
Chronos: "Facepalm Windows 10 ... Australian edition" and
Danjmcintyre: "Nope. Windows 10 is still shit in this orientation" ... Those were both a bit predictable, but these are better:
Mark 85: "Re: Windows 10 Hey ... it's installing Windows 01!!" Doctor Syntax: "I still can't make head nor tail of the new start menu",
Soruk: "Installing Windows 10 turned her entire world upside down", are better,
Seen_Canary: "The steps you have to go through to avoid an upgrade to Windows 10 are getting more bizarre,"
VinceH: "Microsoft releases its first preview build of Windows 11, with yet another new user interface" and
EastFinchleyite: "OK Satya, I've adopted the position, now you can stick Windows 10 up my arse are more like it".
And then there was a rather good collection of funnies.
2+2=5 offered two good ones:
- "Six months' hard work trying to get girls interested in a career in IT undone in an instant."
- "Yes, I am a management consultant, and yes, I am talking out of my arse. Next question."
And three good ones from Anonymous Custard:
- "Even with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, Jennie still couldn't open the PDF file properly"
- "Gertie decided that the next 3d air gesture that she set up would involve two fingers and walking away"
- "Help, my smart bra has crashed again!"
We also enjoyed:
- arj: "Someone taught me a new trick. If you stand on your head you can plug a USB lead in the right way around on your first try!"
- Captain DaFt: "After years of neck pain and incessant mockery and concern from her friends, Amelia finally went online and searched 'How to sit in a chair'."
- Ciaran McHale: "Some fertility websites provide dubious tips for increasing the chances of conception."
- Dantarian: "Standing desk? That's so last week ..."
- disgustedoftunbridgewells: "New viewing angle reducing privacy filter may be a little bit too secure."
- Doctor Syntax: "Are you sure I'm watching it wrong?"
- Frumious Bandersnatch: "Ooh ... what a feeling when you're surfing on the ceiling."
- SW10: "I'll head down there now."
- KnightGarion: "Microsoft: Cortana V3 now does Yoga!"
- lawndart: "...and it was only then that the third character of the CAPTCHA became clear."
- midd: "To see how to finish this exercise manoeuvre safely, click Next now."
- p.m.j: "If I just lift my big toe I should finally get the wi-fi working faster than 4bits an hour."
- TitterYeNot: "Barbie ever so slightly misunderstands the concept of using parallel computing to generate an inverted index."
- Trigonoceps occipitalis: "(Clippy) "Hello, it looks like you're trying agile programming, do you want help with that?"
- Warm Braw: "Despite the BOFH stapling her hair to the floor, Miriam still managed to raise a support ticket."
But the winner is: monty75 with this gem: "It was at this point that Kate began to suspect that the phone call she received wasn't really from Windows Support." We’ve all been there.
Mr 75 wins a Western Digital 6TB black drive, something with more than a million times more capacity than the Corvus hard disk we remember using on a Commodore PET in 1980. Even the cache of 128MB in the 6TB Black would have seemed impossible back then.
This is the top-of-the-range Western Digital drives with a sustained data rate of 600MB/s, StableTrac to cope with vibrations caused from the sub-woofer in a hardcore gaming system, and dual processors.
The drive has a SATA interface and uses the well-established Ramp Load technology which parks the heads off the disk surface to prevent stiction, and Advanced Format Technology which uses eight 512 byte logical sectors in one 4096 byte physical sector. WD sells them here.
So now it’s your turn, give us something funny for this:
And by this time next week you too could be the proud owner of a happy grin which shows that you’ve come up with the best caption, and that a Western Digital hard disk will be finding its way to you.
Please try to keep it kind of SFW, but applicable to the content. If you want to be considered, please don’t hide as an anonymous coward, and if you win we’ll need a UK mailing address. The competition closes at 9:00 UK time next Thursday, 29 Oct. Post your witty words in the comments below.®