EMC Information Infrastructure CEO David Goulden has written to customers promising “minimal disruption to existing product lines” as EMC and Dell become one.
In an email letter sent to El Reg's virtualisation desk, Goulden says Dell and EMC's “combined product and technology portfolios and sales approaches are complementary, so customers can buy with confidence”.
Goulden also says “I commit to you that EMC will sustain our absolute focus on you, our valued customers, to power your IT transformation initiatives by:
- Delivering the high quality customer experience you expect from EMC, including our customary commitment to support all current products as we always have
- Extending our technology leadership through investment in R&D, including enhancing existing products and roadmaps
- Preserving our dedication to customer choice (free of lock-in)
- Continuing to enhance our partnerships & technology ecosystems
- Listening to customer feedback and communicating updates to you clearly — and often."
The letter wraps with the assertion that “moving to a privately-controlled ownership model will provide more freedom to invest for the long-term, in R&D and innovation to provide you with top-class products, services and support.” That last bit's straight from Dell marketing central.
The rest of the letter isn't making any promises EMC or Dell can't keep either: it's not as if change of ownership would see EMC stop research, suddenly impose vicious lock-in, degrade support or stop listening to customers.
The Register has, however, had EMC folk voice an opinion that the company's rivals have the better part of half a year in which to hint that certain products might go away so customers should shop with other storage outfits. This letter looks to represent a shot across the bows of such FUD-spreaders, while also leaving Dell/EMC plenty of wriggle room to inflict some disruption on customers. And probably not the “good” sort of disruption beloved of startup-land, at least until the combined company hits its stride and reveals new products and ideas. ®