Strike! EPO staff to walk out this Thursday

Patent office employees not happy with dictatorial president


Staff at the European Patent Office (EPO) will strike this Thursday in protest at how the organization's management continues to treat its union officials.

All employees at the EPO's offices in Munich, The Hague, Berlin and Vienna will stage a one-day strike in protest of the patent office's targeting of staff that opposed reform efforts.

A vote to hold a strike was won overwhelmingly last month. But it was decided to delay the walkout in an effort to persuade the EPO's administrative council to rein in president Benoît Battistelli, and in particular disciplinary hearings he started against the three main leaders of the staff's union, SUEPO.

At the end of the council meeting, a proposal to demand Battistelli suspend the hearings until an independent review was carried out was watered down to "requests" that he "ensure that disciplinary sanctions and proceedings are not only fair but also seen to be so" and that he "consider" involvement of a third-party arbitrator.

Battistelli has done neither, and in a formal letter to him announcing the strike, the staff noted that "no essential progress has been made."

The president's reputation has taken a severe battering in the last year. He has reportedly stormed out of a number of meetings with high-ranking officials when they raised the "social situation" at the organization.

On top of the 91 per cent strike vote, Battistelli also received an extraordinary zero per cent confidence rating in a recent staff survey in which 40 per cent of EPO staff took part.

Battistelli did remove what was seen as the worst abuse of the president's unusually broad powers by cancelling a 20 per cent reduction that he imposed on the pension of one of the SUEPO representatives under review. But the disciplinary proceedings themselves continue and no third party has been brought in to arbitrate. SUEPO represents roughly 50 per cent of the EPO's workforce.

MoU? More like FU

Last month, the administrative council also pushed on management to sign an agreement with SUEPO that would acknowledge its legitimacy "with no pre-conditions," and create a framework for discussions to resolve a number of outstanding issues.

SUEPO remains unhappy with the memorandum of understanding (MoU) that the EPO management has put forward, however. Among their concerns is an effort by the EPO to cement its extra-judicial status by obliging SUEPO to be "bound by the legal framework applicable to the EPO."

Due to its unusual nature, the EPO is not obliged to follow the laws of the countries in which it resides, and Battistelli has used that fact to introduce rules that would be illegal otherwise, including restrictive strike conditions, rules around elections for staff representatives, and policies around sick leave, among other things.

If SUEPO signs the agreement as currently written, it would effectively sign up to the very rules that it is protesting and which led to EPO's management aggressively targeting the union leaders when they opposed the changes.

The agreement would also oblige EPO staff to follow rules that can be changed at any point by the EPO's management without requiring union approval – something that SUEPO says "amounts to signing a blank check."

Among other concerns, the MoU also does not deal with what would happen if it was not possible for the union and management to reach agreement. Typically in such contracts there is an agreement to use an independent arbitrator to resolve disputes.

SUEPO also claims that the EPO's management disregarded its counter proposal, which it says was built on European best practice guidelines, "without any further discussion."

It concludes: "With additionally three SUEPO officials sanctioned in Munich and three more expecting the same in The Hague, it is not clear how union recognition talks can be taken up again. Under the circumstances agreement seems a long way away."

Battistelli is obliged to provide an update to his administrative council at its next meeting in June. If he is unable to show progress, it is expected that the council will take a firmer hand. ®


Other stories you might like

  • The ‘substantial contributions’ Intel has promised to boost RISC-V adoption
    With the benefit of maybe revitalizing the x86 giant’s foundry business

    Analysis Here's something that would have seemed outlandish only a few years ago: to help fuel Intel's future growth, the x86 giant has vowed to do what it can to make the open-source RISC-V ISA worthy of widespread adoption.

    In a presentation, an Intel representative shared some details of how the chipmaker plans to contribute to RISC-V as part of its bet that the instruction set architecture will fuel growth for its revitalized contract chip manufacturing business.

    While Intel invested in RISC-V chip designer SiFive in 2018, the semiconductor titan's intentions with RISC-V evolved last year when it revealed that the contract manufacturing business key to its comeback, Intel Foundry Services, would be willing to make chips compatible with x86, Arm, and RISC-V ISAs. The chipmaker then announced in February it joined RISC-V International, the ISA's governing body, and launched a $1 billion innovation fund that will support chip designers, including those making RISC-V components.

    Continue reading
  • FBI warns of North Korean cyberspies posing as foreign IT workers
    Looking for tech talent? Kim Jong-un's friendly freelancers, at your service

    Pay close attention to that resume before offering that work contract.

    The FBI, in a joint advisory with the US government Departments of State and Treasury, has warned that North Korea's cyberspies are posing as non-North-Korean IT workers to bag Western jobs to advance Kim Jong-un's nefarious pursuits.

    In guidance [PDF] issued this week, the Feds warned that these techies often use fake IDs and other documents to pose as non-North-Korean nationals to gain freelance employment in North America, Europe, and east Asia. Additionally, North Korean IT workers may accept foreign contracts and then outsource those projects to non-North-Korean folks.

    Continue reading
  • Elon Musk says Twitter buy 'cannot move forward' until spam stats spat settled
    A stunning surprise to no one in this Solar System

    Elon Musk said his bid to acquire and privatize Twitter "cannot move forward" until the social network proves its claim that fake bot accounts make up less than five per cent of all users.

    The world's richest meme lord formally launched efforts to take over Twitter last month after buying a 9.2 per cent stake in the biz. He declined an offer to join the board of directors, only to return asking if he could buy the social media platform outright at $54.20 per share. Twitter's board resisted Musk's plans at first, installing a "poison pill" to hamper a hostile takeover before accepting the deal, worth over $44 billion.

    But then it appears Musk spotted something in Twitter's latest filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC. The paperwork asserted that "fewer than five percent" of Twitter's monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the first quarter of 2022 were fake or spammer accounts, which Musk objected to: he felt that figure should be a lot higher. He had earlier proclaimed that ridding Twitter of spam bots was a priority for him, post-takeover.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022