Chinese giant ZTE slips off US export sh*tlist – and it only cost $900m

Tech dragon cleared after admitting to sanction violations


The US Department of Commerce has scrapped trade restrictions that left Chinese tech monster ZTE unable to import components from America.

The DoC said in a Wednesday entry to its Federal Register that it would be taking the network hardware vendor off its Entity List and would end the export controls that have been in place since March of last year, after ZTE was accused of illegally selling equipment to Iran and North Korea.

Last month, ZTE agreed to end that case by taking a plea deal and paying a fine of $892m for violating US trade sanctions.

"In light of the recent settlement of administrative and criminal enforcement actions against ZTE Corporation and ZTE Kangxun, the EndUser Review Committee has determined that these two persons being removed have performed their undertakings to the US government in a timely manner and have otherwise cooperated with the US government in resolving the matter which led to the two entities' listing," the notice reads.

ZTE had been accused of selling network and telco equipment to both Iran and North Korea – in violation of US trade sanctions – then trying to cover their tracks by routing the deals through its Chinese subsidiaries.

With the sanctions lifted, ZTE will once again be able to do business with companies within the States, a move the company hopes will help turn around the plunging profits that have forced it to lay off thousands of workers.

Not everyone involved in the incident is getting off the list, however. Former CEO Shi Lirong, who oversaw the scheme, will be added individually to the restricted list with limits on business he can conduct from China. ®

Similar topics

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Chinese startup hires chip godfather and TSMC vet to break into DRAM biz
    They're putting a crew together, and Beijing's tossed in $750m to get things started

    A Chinese state-backed startup has hired legendary Japanese chip exec Yukio Sakamoto as part of a strategy to launch a local DRAM industry.

    Chinese press last week reported that Sakamoto has joined an outfit named SwaySure, also known as Shenzhen Sheng Weixu Technology Company or Sheng Weixu for brevity.

    Sakamoto's last gig was as senior vice president of Chinese company Tsinghua Unigroup, where he was hired to build up a 100-employee team in Japan with the aim of making DRAM products in Chongqing, China. That effort reportedly faced challenges along the way – some related to US sanctions, others from recruitment.

    Continue reading
  • Intel delivers first discrete Arc desktop GPUs ... in China
    Why not just ship it in Narnia and call it a win?

    Updated Intel has said its first discrete Arc desktop GPUs will, as planned, go on sale this month. But only in China.

    The x86 giant's foray into discrete graphics processors has been difficult. Intel has baked 2D and 3D acceleration into its chipsets for years but watched as AMD and Nvidia swept the market with more powerful discrete GPU cards.

    Intel announced it would offer discrete GPUs of its own in 2018 and promised shipments would start in 2020. But it was not until 2021 that Intel launched the Arc brand for its GPU efforts and promised discrete graphics silicon for desktops and laptops would appear in Q1 2022.

    Continue reading
  • Former chip research professor jailed for not disclosing Chinese patents
    This is how Beijing illegally accesses US tech, say Feds

    The former director of the University of Arkansas’ High Density Electronics Center, a research facility that specialises in electronic packaging and multichip technology, has been jailed for a year for failing to disclose Chinese patents for his inventions.

    Professor Simon Saw-Teong Ang was in 2020 indicted for wire fraud and passport fraud, with the charges arising from what the US Department of Justice described as a failure to disclose “ties to companies and institutions in China” to the University of Arkansas or to the US government agencies for which the High Density Electronics Center conducted research under contract.

    At the time of the indictment, then assistant attorney general for national security John C. Demers described Ang’s actions as “a hallmark of the China’s targeting of research and academic collaborations within the United States in order to obtain U.S. technology illegally.” The DoJ statement about the indictment said Ang’s actions had negatively impacted NASA and the US Air Force.

    Continue reading
  • TikTok US traffic defaults to Oracle Cloud, Beijing can (allegedly) still have a look
    Alibaba hinted the gig was worth millions each year

    The US arm of Chinese social video app TikTok has revealed that it has changed the default location used to store users' creations to Oracle Cloud's stateside operations – a day after being accused of allowing its Chinese parent company to access American users' personal data.

    "Today, 100 percent of US user traffic is being routed to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure," the company stated in a post dated June 18.

    "For more than a year, we've been working with Oracle on several measures as part of our commercial relationship to better safeguard our app, systems, and the security of US user data," the post continues. "We still use our US and Singapore datacenters for backup, but as we continue our work we expect to delete US users' private data from our own datacenters and fully pivot to Oracle cloud servers located in the US."

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022