UK engineering software firm swallowed in £3bn merger with France's Schneider Electric

Reverse takeover: Cambridge techies to keep London listing


Another UK engineering software group has been snapped up by the claws of industrial machines – for about half a billion pieces of cold, hard cash.

After several failed talks, France-headquartered energy firm Schneider Electric announced today it has agreed a reverse takeover of Cambridge development house Aveva for £550m.

Aveva makes software for oil and gas, power, marine and chemical processing markets. As the Financial Times reports, customers have been spending less, so it has been under pressure as of late.

Previous acquisition talks with Schneider Electric broke down in December 2015 and June 2016. According to a press release today, however, the two have finally announced a solution they're both happy with.

With its £550m payment, Schneider Electric will swallow 60 per cent of an enlarged AVEVA that includes its own software division (shares worth about £1.7bn); existing AVEVA investors get to keep the other 40 per cent as part of the part-cash deal. AVEVA will also dole out about £100m to its existing shareholders (1014p in cash per share).

The headquarters of the expanded AVEVA group will remain in Cambridge and AVEVA is expected to remain listed in the UK.

The deal is expected to be completed by the end of the year, subject to the usual regulatory approvals. ®


Other stories you might like

  • Twitter founder Dorsey beats hasty retweet from the board
    As shareholders sue the social network amid Elon Musk's takeover attempt

    Twitter has officially entered the post-Dorsey age: its founder and two-time CEO's board term expired Wednesday, marking the first time the social media company hasn't had him around in some capacity.

    Jack Dorsey announced his resignation as Twitter chief exec in November 2021, and passed the baton to Parag Agrawal while remaining on the board. Now that board term has ended, and Dorsey has stepped down as expected. Agrawal has taken Dorsey's board seat; Salesforce co-CEO Bret Taylor has assumed the role of Twitter's board chair. 

    In his resignation announcement, Dorsey – who co-founded and is CEO of Block (formerly Square) – said having founders leading the companies they created can be severely limiting for an organization and can serve as a single point of failure. "I believe it's critical a company can stand on its own, free of its founder's influence or direction," Dorsey said. He didn't respond to a request for further comment today. 

    Continue reading
  • Snowflake stock drops as some top customers cut usage
    You might say its valuation is melting away

    IPO darling Snowflake's share price took a beating in an already bearish market for tech stocks after filing weaker than expected financial guidance amid a slowdown in orders from some of its largest customers.

    For its first quarter of fiscal 2023, ended April 30, Snowflake's revenue grew 85 percent year-on-year to $422.4 million. The company made an operating loss of $188.8 million, albeit down from $205.6 million a year ago.

    Although surpassing revenue expectations, the cloud-based data warehousing business saw its valuation tumble 16 percent in extended trading on Wednesday. Its stock price dived from $133 apiece to $117 in after-hours trading, and today is cruising back at $127. That stumble arrived amid a general tech stock sell-off some observers said was overdue.

    Continue reading
  • Amazon investors nuke proposed ethics overhaul and say yes to $212m CEO pay
    Workplace safety, labor organizing, sustainability and, um, wage 'fairness' all struck down in vote

    Amazon CEO Andy Jassy's first shareholder meeting was a rousing success for Amazon leadership and Jassy's bank account. But for activist investors intent on making Amazon more open and transparent, it was nothing short of a disaster.

    While actual voting results haven't been released yet, Amazon general counsel David Zapolsky told Reuters that stock owners voted down fifteen shareholder resolutions addressing topics including workplace safety, labor organizing, sustainability, and pay fairness. Amazon's board recommended voting no on all of the proposals.

    Jassy and the board scored additional victories in the form of shareholder approval for board appointments, executive compensation and a 20-for-1 stock split. Jassy's executive compensation package, which is tied to Amazon stock price and mostly delivered as stock awards over a multi-year period, was $212 million in 2021. 

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022