As Zuck apologizes again... Facebook admits 'most' of its 2bn+ users may have had public profiles slurped by bots

And it's all your fault!


With his company's ongoing privacy crisis reaching new, even more enraging heights, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg faced the press on Wednesday to apologize for letting data harvesters run rampant on his site.

"It is clear now that we didn't do enough, we didn't focus enough on preventing abuse," Zuckerberg told reporters. "We didn't take a broad enough view of what our responsibility is, and that was a huge mistake."

Zuckerberg went on to take responsibility for the gaffe that let political marketing house Cambridge Analytica collect personal information on anywhere from 50 to 87 million users (Zuck noted the 87 million was a high-end estimate based on each user's maximum number of friends, and thus potential reach, over the period of the data harvesting.)

He also 'fessed up to overlooking warnings of fake news and targeting in the run-up to the 2016 election by Russian groups.

"In retrospect we were behind and we didn't invest enough in it up front," Zuck said.

Even as the social network's founder was giving his mea culpa for the Cambridge Analytica fiasco, however, another privacy scandal was emerging. Facebook's outline of its new data policies included the disclosure that Facebook's user search and account recovery features had been abused to scrape the profile information of potentially two or more billion accounts.

"Until today, people could enter another person’s phone number or email address into Facebook search to help find them," Facebook explained.

"However, malicious actors have also abused these features to scrape public profile information by submitting phone numbers or email addresses they already have through search and account recovery. Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we’ve seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way."

Zuckerberg said the feature has been turned off effective immediately and, once again, apologized.

"I would assume that if you had that setting turned on, someone at some point has access to your public info in this way," he admitted.

But remember, it's your fault!

Even in apologizing, however, Zuckerberg made sure to once again let everyone know that he thinks he should only be so responsible for the data on his service. Noting that the scraped profile information was limited to what was publically viewable, Zuckerberg told reporters "the vast majority of the data that Facebook knows is because you chose to share it."

He also shrugged off the notion that Facebook's collection of data for use in targeted ads was a bad thing, arguing that advertisements designed to target and manipulate specific portions of the population based on personal information were actually not such a bad thing after all.

"People tell us if they are going to see ads they want the ads to be good," Zuck argues.

"On the one hand, people want relevant experiences, and on the other hand there is some discomfort about how data is used. I think the overwhelming feedback is for wanting a good experience."

Don't expect the privacy cock-ups to stop any time soon, either. Zuckerberg noted that as long as there's money to be made from the data his $448bn business collects, the Cambridge Analyticas of the world will be all too happy to take it.

"We are not going to be able to go out and find every single bad use of data," he said.

"No measure that you take is going to be perfect, a lot of the strategy has to involve changing the economy of the bad actors." ®

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • Euro-telcos call on big tech to help pay for their network builds

    Aka 'rebalancing global technology giants and the European digital ecosystem'

    The European Telecommunications Network Operators' Association (ETNO) has published a letter signed by ten telco CEOs that calls for, among other things, Big Tech to pay for their network builds.

    The letter, signed by the CEOs of the Vodafone Group, BT Group, Deutsche Telekom, Telefónica, Orange Group and five more telco leaders, calls for a "renewed effort to rebalance the relationship between global technology giants and the European digital ecosystem".

    "A large and increasing part of network traffic is generated and monetized by Big Tech platforms, but it requires continuous, intensive network investment and planning by the telecommunications sector," the letter states, adding "This model – which enables EU citizens to enjoy the fruits of the digital transformation – can only be sustainable if such platforms also contribute fairly to network costs."

    Continue reading
  • AI-enhanced frog stem cells start to replicate in entirely new ways

    Xenobots scoop up loose cells to make more of themselves. We welcome our new overlords

    In January of 2020, scientists from the University of Vermont announced they had built the first living robots; this week they have published reports that those robots, made from frog cells and called Xenobots, can reproduce and have found a new way to do so.

    The millimetre-sized xenobots are essentially a computer-designed collection of around 3,000 cells. They were created by taking stem cells from frog embryos, scraping them, leaving them to incubate, then cutting them open and sculpting them into specific shapes. After all that action, the cells began to work on their own – auto-repairing when sliced and moving about inside petri dishes.

    With a little design tweak, the creatures could do even more. "With the right design, they will spontaneously self-replicate," said University of Vermont researcher Joshua Bongard, Ph.D. in a canned statement.

    Continue reading
  • Panasonic admits intruders were inside its servers for months

    Spotted the crack after it ended – still not sure what was lost

    Japanese industrial giant Panasonic has admitted it's been popped, and badly.

    A November 26 statement [PDF] from the company admits that its network "was illegally accessed by a third party on November 11, 2021". That date has since been revised – the company now says it became aware of the intrusion on the 11th, but that unknown entities had access to its systems from late June to early November.

    "After detecting the unauthorized access, the company immediately reported the incident to the relevant authorities and implemented security countermeasures, including steps to prevent external access to the network," the statement adds.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021