Trump 'not normal' FCC commish reveals amid Sinclair-Tribune mega-media-merger meltdown

Breaking news: President sticks oar into complicated saga


Controversy over a proposed $4bn merger of Sinclair Broadcasting and Tribune Media in the US has blown up again – after a commissioner on America's media watchdog, the FCC, blasted President Trump's public backing of the deal.

"This is not normal," FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel told CNN on Sunday in response to Trump's tweet that it was "sad and unfair" that the federal regulator didn't give the mega-merger a green light and instead chose to have it reviewed by an administrative court.

"The FCC is an independent agency," said Rosenworcel. "We need to make sure the facts guide us – and the law."

Rosenworcel went further and alluded to the peculiar partisan whirlwind around the deal that has led to the FCC's own chairman Ajit Pai being probed by the FCC inspector general for a series of unusual decisions that cleared the way for a Sinclair-Tribune merger.

Sinclair, which owns a large number of TV and radio stations in America, broadcasts coordinated propaganda in favor of the Trump administration. Tribune Media, meanwhile, owns a bunch of telly stations and media organizations.

"It really shouldn't be a part of our consideration whether or not the news outlet at issue has flattered this administration or earned the president's favor," Rosenworcel said.

That was in part in response to the second part of Trump's tweet which read: "This would have been a great and much needed Conservative voice for and of the People. Liberal Fake News NBC and Comcast gets approved, much bigger, but not Sinclair. Disgraceful!"

President Trump has made a habit of weighing in on every issue he has an opinion on – something that has frequently caused dismay in Washington DC.

Fair and balanced

The Sinclair deal is especially fraught due to the controversial inclusion of the aforementioned "must run" segments that the media organization's headquarters has obliged its stations to run, almost all of which take a partisan and pro-Trump angle, in contrast to the organization's largely objective reporting.

Last week, FCC boss Ajit Pai chose not to approve the merger, and send it instead to an independent review body – a decision that most viewed as a sign that Pai feared the political blowback that would result from approval.

His own commissioner – Rosenworcel – has repeatedly, and publicly, asked for an investigation into the deal, and flagged decisions made by her own agency as suspicious. "Every element of our media policy is custom-built for the business plan of Sinclair Broadcasting," she noted, arguing that Pai and the two Republican FCC Commissioners – Michael O'Rielly and Brendan Carr – were "burning down the values of media policy in this agency in order to service this company."

Pai has been behind a series of unusual FCC decisions since he took over as chairman at the start of 2017, many of which have benefitted Sinclair. Most peculiar was a decision to reintroduce a rule relaxing the limit on the number of TV stations one can own – the so-called "UHF discount" – that had been discarded as out-of-date years earlier thanks to digital technology.

One FCC Commissioner was baffled by its reintroduction, noting that the rule "has no place in a post-digital transition era" and was "divorced from the technical realities of broadcast television in the digital age." The decision to reintroduce the rule was challenged in court, with the challenge dismissed last week.

One month later, Sinclair announced it would pay $3.9bn for rival Tribune Media and its 42 television stations dotted across the US, adding to its 173 existing stations. The UHF discount rule, by relaxing outlet ownership limits, made that merger technically possible.

Things that made you go hmmmmm

There were other odd decisions, too.

A seemingly obscure change made less than one month into Pai's chairmanship deleted internal FCC rules concerning the review of so-called joint sales agreements (JSAs). The rules had been specifically introduced years earlier in response to Sinclair abusing them to bypass rules over market control.

And Pai also pushed through the authorization of so-called "Next Gen TV" using the ATSC 3.0 standard – something some of his fellow commissioners felt was unnecessarily soon. Rosenworcel used her first speech as a returning official to the FCC to slam the decision, complaining the watchdog was "about to rush this standard to market without understanding the consequences for consumers."

One of the biggest advocates for ATSC 3.0 has been Sinclair Broadcasting. It holds several key patents related to the standard and stands to make billions of dollars from technology.

Tied in with all that are suspicions of a quid pro quo deal between FCC chairman Ajit Pai and Sinclair CEO David Smith. Pai met Smith the day before President Trump's inauguration ostensibly over the issue of "the continuing paucity of minority and new entrant broadcast ownership" in TV.

Smith is also a confidante of President Trump, and critics note that soon after a White House meeting between Smith and Trump, the Donald decided to select Pai to the vacant position of FCC chairman. Among Pai's earliest actions where the rule changes that paved the way for the Sinclair merger deal.

The stench around the decision and the merger threatened to descend into a full-blown civil war within the FCC, before Pai finally decided the risk of approving the merger was too great – and pushed it to an administrative court to keep his house in order. But then, of course, the Chaos President intervened. ®

PS: You may recall President Obama throwing his weight behind net neutrality...

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • FCC: Applications for funds to replace Chinese comms kit lack evidence
    Well you told us to rip and ... hang on, we're not getting any money?

    The saga of the US government's plan to rip and replace China-made communications kit from the country's networks has a new twist: following reports that applications for funding far outstripped the cash set aside, it appears two-thirds of such applications lack adequate cost estimates or sufficient supporting evidence.

    The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) informed Congress that it had found deficiencies in 122 of the 181 of the applications filed with it by US carriers for funding to reimburse them for replacing telecoms equipment sourced from Chinese companies.

    The FCC voted nearly a year ago to reimburse medium and small carriers in the US for removing and replacing all network equipment provided by companies such as Huawei and ZTE. The telecoms operators were required to do this in the interests of national security under the terms of the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act.

    Continue reading
  • SpaceX: 5G expansion could kill US Starlink broadband
    It would be easier to take this complaint seriously if Elon wasn't so Elon

    If the proposed addition of the 12GHz spectrum to 5G goes forward, Starlink broadband terminals across America could be crippled, or so SpaceX has complained. 

    The Elon Musk biz made the claim [PDF] this week in a filing to the FCC, which is considering allowing Dish to operate a 5G service in the 12GHz band (12.2-12.7GHz). This frequency range is also used by Starlink and others to provide over-the-air satellite internet connectivity.

    SpaceX said its own in-house study, conducted in Las Vegas, showed "harmful interference from terrestrial mobile service to SpaceX's Starlink terminals … more than 77 percent of the time, resulting in full outages 74 percent of the time." It also claimed the interference will extend to a minimum of 13 miles from base stations. In other words, if Dish gets to use these frequencies in the US, it'll render nearby Starlink terminals useless through wireless interference, it was claimed.

    Continue reading
  • TikTok US traffic defaults to Oracle Cloud, Beijing can (allegedly) still have a look
    Alibaba hinted the gig was worth millions each year

    The US arm of Chinese social video app TikTok has revealed that it has changed the default location used to store users' creations to Oracle Cloud's stateside operations – a day after being accused of allowing its Chinese parent company to access American users' personal data.

    "Today, 100 percent of US user traffic is being routed to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure," the company stated in a post dated June 18.

    "For more than a year, we've been working with Oracle on several measures as part of our commercial relationship to better safeguard our app, systems, and the security of US user data," the post continues. "We still use our US and Singapore datacenters for backup, but as we continue our work we expect to delete US users' private data from our own datacenters and fully pivot to Oracle cloud servers located in the US."

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022