Aussie Emergency Warning Network hacked by rank amateurs

More moron-crime than serious cyber-crime, your data is safe


The operator of an Australian emergency warning service has denied that user information was breached after someone accessed its system to post “you've been hacked” messages.

Over the weekend, people who were registered with EWN.com.au received messages that the system had been hacked. Those messages told users the hack included a breach of their personal information.

The messages read: “EWN has been hacked. Your personal data is not safe. Trying to fix the security issues,” and included a support email address.

However, managing director Kerry Plowright said personal data wasn't breached.

The company's announcement called the message “a nuisance spam-notification,” and added that the link in the message was non-harmful.

“Investigations are continuing with the Police and Australian Cyber Security Centre involved,” the company added.

australia

South Australia bins emergency alert app, contract

READ MORE

Speaking to the ABC's AM radio current affairs program Tuesday morning (audio starts at 20:17), Plowright said he believed the company knew who had used staff credentials to access the part of the system that sends emergency alerts.

It was identified “within seconds by our guys on the operational side” who “killed the process,” but not before “a bunch” of messages had already been sent via SMS, landline and/or email.

Plowright also told the ABC the company avoids holding personal information and restricts what it does hold to “white pages-type data”.

Affected government agencies included federal and state government clients, and a number of Queensland councils, including the cities of Gladstone, Tablelands, and Ipswich. ®

Similar topics

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Samsung fined $14 million for misleading smartphone water resistance claims
    Promoted phones as ready for a dunking – forgot to mention known problems with subsequent recharges

    Australia’s Competition and Consumer Commission has fined Samsung Electronics AU$14 million ($9.6 million) for making for misleading water resistance claims about 3.1 million smartphones.

    The Commission (ACCC) says that between 2016 and 2018 Samsung advertised its Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, A5, A7, S8, S8 Plus and Note 8 smartphones as capable of surviving short submersions in the sea or fresh water.

    As it happens The Register attended the Australian launch of the Note 8 and watched on in wonder as it survived a brief dunking and bubbles appeared to emerge from within the device. Your correspondent recalls Samsung claiming that the waterproofing reflected the aim of designing a phone that could handle Australia's outdoors lifestyle.

    Continue reading
  • Five Eyes alliance’s top cop says techies are the future of law enforcement
    Crims have weaponized tech and certain States let them launder the proceeds

    Australian Federal Police (AFP) commissioner Reece Kershaw has accused un-named nations of helping organized criminals to use technology to commit and launder the proceeds of crime, and called for international collaboration to developer technologies that counter the threats that behaviour creates.

    Kershaw’s remarks were made at a meeting of the Five Eyes Law Enforcement Group (FELEG), the forum in which members of the Five Eyes intelligence sharing pact – Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the UK and the USA – discuss policing and related matters. Kershaw is the current chair of FELEG.

    “Criminals have weaponized technology and have become ruthlessly efficient at finding victims,” Kerhsaw told the group, before adding : “State actors and citizens from some nations are using our countries at the expense of our sovereignty and economies.”

    Continue reading
  • Police lab wants your happy childhood pictures to train AI to detect child abuse
    Like the Hotdog, Not Hotdog app but more Kidnapped, Not Kidnapped

    Updated Australia's federal police and Monash University are asking netizens to send in snaps of their younger selves to train a machine-learning algorithm to spot child abuse in photographs.

    Researchers are looking to collect images of people aged 17 and under in safe scenarios; they don't want any nudity, even if it's a relatively innocuous picture like a child taking a bath. The crowdsourcing campaign, dubbed My Pictures Matter, is open to those aged 18 and above, who can consent to having their photographs be used for research purposes.

    All the images will be amassed into a dataset managed by Monash academics in an attempt to train an AI model to tell the difference between a minor in a normal environment and an exploitative, unsafe situation. The software could, in theory, help law enforcement better automatically and rapidly pinpoint child sex abuse material (aka CSAM) in among thousands upon thousands of photographs under investigation, avoiding having human analysts inspect every single snap.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022