Apple stock hits bottom ... as AirPod exits man's backside and still works after colonic travels

'I am the passenger / And I ride and I ride / I ride through the city's backsides'


A man in Taiwan swallowed one of his wireless Apple AirPods while he slept but succeeded in retrieving the wayward earpiece – and found it still worked after its dark passage through the human body.

Last week, Ben Hsu dozed off and awoke to find one his AirPods had gone missing. Using his iPhone's Find My iPhone app, he directed the missing device to play a sound to help him find it. The ping, he determined, was coming from within his stomach.

Hsu, a recruiter for the Taiwanese navy based in the port city of Kaohsiung, then visited Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospital where clinicians reportedly confirmed his suspicion with an x-ray.

As Hsu reported no pain, the attending physician prescribed a laxative, reserving surgical intervention for the possibility that the piece might not pass through the patient's intestines.

Statistically, the odds favored Hsu: According to a 2017 article on hearing aid ingestion in Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine, "Eighty percent of foreign bodies pass spontaneously through the gastrointestinal tract; surgical intervention is required in only 12–16 per cent. Death is extremely rare."

And sure enough, Hsu passed the device the following day while perched on a toilet at a railway station.

Apple's cancelled AirPower mat

Apple redesigns wireless AirPower charger to be world's smallest, thinnest, lightest, cheapest, invisible... OK, it doesn't exist anymore

READ MORE

Dr Chen Chieh-fan, an emergency room physician at the hospital told the paper that the plastic casing of the AirPod protected Hsu's body from the battery; had the battery been exposed, the doctor suggested, there would have been a greater risk of harm.

Not much greater, however. Only about 1 per cent of swallowed disk batteries result in damaging outcomes, most commonly due to burns from being lodged in the esophagus.

After successfully evacuating the AirPod from his rectum, Hsu proceeded to rummage about his waste to recover the once-white earbud. He washed the device despite Apple advice against getting AirPods wet – "Your AirPods and charging case aren't waterproof or water resistant, so be careful not to get moisture in any openings," the company states on an AirPod support page.

The company's ear stuffers are said to be fairly tolerant to abuse and that supposition is now supported by this star turn as a suppository. The recovered AirPod still had power, 41 per cent, and, as the paper tells it, Hsu called his experience with the product "magical."

Mind you, if he's listening to Nickelback it's still going to sound like s**t. ®

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • Apple M1 chip contains hardware vulnerability that bypasses memory defense
    MIT CSAIL boffins devise PACMAN attack to let existing exploits avoid pointer authentication

    Apple's M1 chip has been found to contain a hardware vulnerability that can be abused to disable one of its defense mechanisms against memory corruption exploits, giving such attacks a greater chance of success.

    MIT CSAIL computer scientists on Friday said they have identified a way to bypass the M1 chip's pointer authentication, a security mechanism that tries to prevent an attacker from modifying memory references without being detected.

    In a paper titled "PACMAN: Attacking Arm Pointer Authentication with Speculative Execution," Joseph Ravichandran, ​​Weon Taek Na, Jay Lang, and Mengjia Yan describe how they were able to use speculative execution – the way in which modern processors perform calculations before they may or may not be needed, to accelerate execution – to discern the pointer authentication code that allows pointer modification on a protected system.

    Continue reading
  • Apple gets lawsuit over Meltdown and Spectre dismissed
    Judge finds security is not a central feature of iDevices

    A California District Court judge has dismissed a proposed class action complaint against Apple for allegedly selling iPhones and iPads containing Arm-based chips with known flaws.

    The lawsuit was initially filed on January 8, 2018, six days after The Register revealed the Intel CPU architecture vulnerabilities that would later come to be known as Meltdown and Spectre and would affect Arm and AMD chips, among others, to varying degrees.

    Amended in June, 2018 the complaint [PDF] charges that the Arm-based Apple processors in Cupertino's devices at the time suffered from a design defect that exposed sensitive data and that customers "paid more for their iDevices than they were worth because Apple knowingly omitted the defect."

    Continue reading
  • Workers win vote to form first-ever US Apple Store union
    Results set to be ratified by labor board by end of the week

    Workers at an Apple Store in Towson, Maryland have voted to form a union, making them the first of the iGiant's retail staff to do so in the United States.

    Out of 110 eligible voters, 65 employees voted in support of unionization versus 33 who voted against it. The organizing committee, known as the Coalition of Organized Retail Employees (CORE), has now filed to certify the results with America's National Labor Relations Board. Members joining this first-ever US Apple Store union will be represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM).

    "I applaud the courage displayed by CORE members at the Apple store in Towson for achieving this historic victory," IAM's international president Robert Martinez Jr said in a statement on Saturday. "They made a huge sacrifice for thousands of Apple employees across the nation who had all eyes on this election."

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022