Greater Manchester Police have confirmed they are investigating two allegations of sexual assault against Lawrence Jones, who stepped down as boss of UKFast yesterday.
GMP sent us the following statement:
On Wednesday 30 January 2019 and Wednesday 20 March 2019 police received reports of two sexual assaults which occurred in 2010 and 2013 respectively.
In light of these allegations A 51-year-old man voluntarily attended an interview with police.
Enquiries are ongoing.
We called Jones and emailed his personal PR flack however haven't had a response.
But Jones told the Sun: "Approximately six months ago, I contacted the police and was interviewed voluntarily because I became aware of some rumours circulating about me, that although false, were extremely damaging.
"I have fully co-operated with the police as I am determined to ensure that these claims are thoroughly investigated so that my name can be cleared. It would not be appropriate to say any more at this time."
Jones' resignation yesterday came a week after the Financial Times published a lengthy investigative piece alleging he oversaw a toxic working environment at the Manchester-based hosting company. This included allegations of bullying, inappropriate behaviour, sexual harassment as well more serious assault allegations. The paper said it had spoken to more than 30 former UKFast staff.
Jones has denied any wrongdoing. His wife has taken over as chief executive while UKFast conducts an internal investigation. The FT said Jones had stepped down following pressure from investors – a 30 per cent stake in the firm was sold to a private equity house last year following a cancelled IPO. ®