ICO scammer Maksim Zaslavskiy to miss 2020 Tokyo Olympics over digital currency fraud

Businessman gets 18 months for bogus cryptocoin sales


A 39 year-old man from New York has been ordered to spend the next 18 months in prison after being convicted of cryptocurrency-based securities fraud.

Brooklyn-based Maksim Zaslavskiy was handed the sentence in the New York Eastern US District Court after being convicted on one charge of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. He will also have to pay out a monetary penalty yet to be determined by Judge Raymond Dearie.

Zaslavskiy was indicted (PDF) in November of last year for his actions as the owner of Diamond Reserve Club and REcoin Group Foundation, a pair of cryptocurrency investment schemes.

In both cases it was found that Zaslavskiy had marketed and sold cryptocoins on the promise that each was backed by a real-world asset. Those assets were then used to convince investors to buy into the initial coin offering (ICO), on the promise that the value of their coins would be sustained by those real-world holdings.

In the case of RECoin, the currency was touted as having its value backed by real estate holdings that would hold up the worth of the coins, while Diamond Reserve Club was said to be backed by ownership stakes in diamonds.

The offerings were also touted as having the support of "a team of lawyers, professionals, brokers and accountants," who were all on board. Zaslavskiy even went so far as to create detailed whitepapers for each operation, designed to further make buyers believe their investments would be handled professionally.

shutterstock_mobile_theft_648

What a pair of Massholes! New England duo cuffed over SIM-swapping cryptocoin charges

READ MORE

In both cases, however, it was found that there were no investments in any sort of real-world asset to back the coins, nor was there any team of professionals dedicated to backing the operation.

Rather, Zaslasvskiy simply pocketed all of the investment money and pulled the plug on the operation before any of the coins were ever issued, leaving buyers with nothing more than a worthless certificate. It was estimated that around 1,000 people lost money in the reCoin scheme, while no estimate was given for the number of Diamond Reserve buyers.

"Zaslavskiy committed an old-fashioned fraud camouflaged as cutting-edge technology,” said US Attorney Richard Donoghue, who lead the prosecution.

"This Office will continue to investigate and prosecute those who defraud investors, whether involving traditional securities or virtual currency." ®


Other stories you might like

  • SEC probes Musk for not properly disclosing Twitter stake
    Meanwhile, social network's board rejects resignation of one its directors

    America's financial watchdog is investigating whether Elon Musk adequately disclosed his purchase of Twitter shares last month, just as his bid to take over the social media company hangs in the balance. 

    A letter [PDF] from the SEC addressed to the tech billionaire said he "[did] not appear" to have filed the proper form detailing his 9.2 percent stake in Twitter "required 10 days from the date of acquisition," and asked him to provide more information. Musk's shares made him one of Twitter's largest shareholders. The letter is dated April 4, and was shared this week by the regulator.

    Musk quickly moved to try and buy the whole company outright in a deal initially worth over $44 billion. Musk sold a chunk of his shares in Tesla worth $8.4 billion and bagged another $7.14 billion from investors to help finance the $21 billion he promised to put forward for the deal. The remaining $25.5 billion bill was secured via debt financing by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others. But the takeover is not going smoothly.

    Continue reading
  • Cloud security unicorn cuts 20% of staff after raising $1.3b
    Time to play blame bingo: Markets? Profits? Too much growth? Russia? Space aliens?

    Cloud security company Lacework has laid off 20 percent of its employees, just months after two record-breaking funding rounds pushed its valuation to $8.3 billion.

    A spokesperson wouldn't confirm the total number of employees affected, though told The Register that the "widely speculated number on Twitter is a significant overestimate."

    The company, as of March, counted more than 1,000 employees, which would push the jobs lost above 200. And the widely reported number on Twitter is about 300 employees. The biz, based in Silicon Valley, was founded in 2015.

    Continue reading
  • Talos names eight deadly sins in widely used industrial software
    Entire swaths of gear relies on vulnerability-laden Open Automation Software (OAS)

    A researcher at Cisco's Talos threat intelligence team found eight vulnerabilities in the Open Automation Software (OAS) platform that, if exploited, could enable a bad actor to access a device and run code on a targeted system.

    The OAS platform is widely used by a range of industrial enterprises, essentially facilitating the transfer of data within an IT environment between hardware and software and playing a central role in organizations' industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) efforts. It touches a range of devices, including PLCs and OPCs and IoT devices, as well as custom applications and APIs, databases and edge systems.

    Companies like Volvo, General Dynamics, JBT Aerotech and wind-turbine maker AES are among the users of the OAS platform.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022