Deadly 737 Max jets no longer a Boeing concern – for now: Production suspended after biz runs out of parking space

That kill-everyone-onboard flaw that was supposed to be fixed by now? Yep, still an issue


Boeing said on Monday that it plans to temporarily suspend the production of its 737 Max jets next month to focus on clearing out the 400 or so aircraft currently grounded in storage.

The jets have been gathering dust since March 13, 2019, when America's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued an emergency order grounding all 737 Max models in response to two crashes with the new aircraft that killed a total of 346 people.

The crashes – of Lion Air flight JT610 in October 2018, and of Ethiopean Airlines ET302 in March 2019 – have been attributed to the design of the passenger jet's anti-stall – sorry, plane pedants hate it when we call it that – anti-death flight control software, known as MCAS (that's Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System), and insufficient MCAS training (for which read virtually none) among pilots.

The FAA has yet to issue an official report on the crashes; the agency is expecting an audit of the 737 Max's certification process by the US Department of Transportation's Office of the Inspector General. Other regulatory agencies around the world are conducting their own investigations into the crashes before allowing the 737 Max in their airspace.

Claiming to be committed to safety, Boeing said it awaits word from the FAA and other aviation regulators as to the timeline for the airplane's certification and return to service.

"We believe this decision is least disruptive to maintaining long-term production system and supply chain health," the aerospace biz said in a statement.

"This decision is driven by a number of factors, including the extension of certification into 2020, the uncertainty about the timing and conditions of return to service and global training approvals, and the importance of ensuring that we can prioritize the delivery of stored aircraft."

Airlines that count a significant number of 737 Max planes in their respective fleets may be at least as anxious about seeing Boeing's beleaguered jet declared safe. They're losing revenue by being unable to fly their 737 Max planes.

Boeing 737 NG doing some flight tests in the runway near the company factory at Renton Airport

Controversies aren't Boeing away for aircraft maker amid claims of faulty oxygen systems and wobbling wings

READ MORE

Boeing says those working on the 737 Max in its Puget Sound, Washington, facility will either continue what they're doing or will be temporarily reassigned to other teams. The company promised an update when it reports its fourth quarter earnings next month. Its shares fell almost 5 per cent following news of the production suspension.

While the FAA and regulators abroad mull when the 737 Max might be allowed to return to service, the FAA itself has come under Congressional scrutiny for its failure to disclose an internal study that predicted about 15 additional crashes over the expected 45-year-lifespan of the 737 Max model due to the MCAS design flaw.

"Despite its own calculations, the FAA rolled the dice on the safety of the traveling public and let the 737 MAX continue to fly until Boeing could overhaul its MCAS software," said Peter DeFazio (D-OR-04), Chair of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, in a hearing on the 737 Max last week. "Tragically, the FAA’s analysis—which never saw the light of day beyond the closed doors of the FAA and Boeing—was correct."

DeFazio said that back in 1996 he pushed for the removal of the FAA's statutory mandate to "promote" the aviation industry. In light of rumors he cited about pressure among those within the FAA to accommodate airlines and plane makers, he wants the agency to focus on safety and oversight. ®

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Stolen university credentials up for sale by Russian crooks, FBI warns
    Forget dark-web souks, thousands of these are already being traded on public bazaars

    Russian crooks are selling network credentials and virtual private network access for a "multitude" of US universities and colleges on criminal marketplaces, according to the FBI.

    According to a warning issued on Thursday, these stolen credentials sell for thousands of dollars on both dark web and public internet forums, and could lead to subsequent cyberattacks against individual employees or the schools themselves.

    "The exposure of usernames and passwords can lead to brute force credential stuffing computer network attacks, whereby attackers attempt logins across various internet sites or exploit them for subsequent cyber attacks as criminal actors take advantage of users recycling the same credentials across multiple accounts, internet sites, and services," the Feds' alert [PDF] said.

    Continue reading
  • Big Tech loves talking up privacy – while trying to kill privacy legislation
    Study claims Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, Microsoft work to derail data rules

    Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft often support privacy in public statements, but behind the scenes they've been working through some common organizations to weaken or kill privacy legislation in US states.

    That's according to a report this week from news non-profit The Markup, which said the corporations hire lobbyists from the same few groups and law firms to defang or drown state privacy bills.

    The report examined 31 states when state legislatures were considering privacy legislation and identified 445 lobbyists and lobbying firms working on behalf of Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft, along with industry groups like TechNet and the State Privacy and Security Coalition.

    Continue reading
  • SEC probes Musk for not properly disclosing Twitter stake
    Meanwhile, social network's board rejects resignation of one its directors

    America's financial watchdog is investigating whether Elon Musk adequately disclosed his purchase of Twitter shares last month, just as his bid to take over the social media company hangs in the balance. 

    A letter [PDF] from the SEC addressed to the tech billionaire said he "[did] not appear" to have filed the proper form detailing his 9.2 percent stake in Twitter "required 10 days from the date of acquisition," and asked him to provide more information. Musk's shares made him one of Twitter's largest shareholders. The letter is dated April 4, and was shared this week by the regulator.

    Musk quickly moved to try and buy the whole company outright in a deal initially worth over $44 billion. Musk sold a chunk of his shares in Tesla worth $8.4 billion and bagged another $7.14 billion from investors to help finance the $21 billion he promised to put forward for the deal. The remaining $25.5 billion bill was secured via debt financing by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others. But the takeover is not going smoothly.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022