When classes are online, how do you get out of school? Florida teen cuffed, charged after crashing cyber-lessons

Eight DDoS attacks targeted networks, virtual classrooms, say officials


A teenager in America has apparently admitted knocking virtual learning classes offline with a string of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.

The unnamed 16-year-old was arrested and charged with "computer use in an attempt to defraud," a third-degree felony, and "interference with an educational institution," a second-degree misdemeanor. The teen is a junior at South Miami Senior High School in the Miami-Dade Public Schools system in Florida. Due to being a minor, their name and case file is not public.

The school district said the kid admitted carrying out eight DDoS attacks since the school year began on August 31. During these cyber-assaults, malicious network traffic was said to have disrupted at the on-premises networks of the school district itself and My School Online, the internet-hosted teaching platform the school district is using to deliver lessons while pupils work from home due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Miami-Dade Schools have about 275,000 students and 20,000 teachers, so the disruption was severe. The teen was tracked down by the school district's police department, with help from the state police, as well as the FBI and Secret Service.

NZ

DDoS downs New Zealand stock exchange for third consecutive day

READ MORE

The district is not saying exactly how the teen was able to launch the DDoS attacks, other than to say a "software program" was used to take down the networks and online class platform. It is said the kid used LOIC – a DDoS tool called the Low Orbit Ion Cannon – which is really easy to obtain and use, and easy to block.

Additional arrests and charges are not out of the question, though, as the student was not believed to have acted alone. The district said these eight attacks were only a portion of more than a dozen DDoS strikes to have hit Miami-Dade schools in its first three days of online classes mid-pandemic.

"We believe, based upon our investigation, that other attackers are out there. We will not rest until every one of them is caught and brought to justice," said Edwin Lopez, chief of the Miami-Dade Schools Police.

"Cyber attacks are serious crimes, which have far-reaching negative impacts. Our message to anyone thinking of attempting a criminal act like this is to think twice. We will find you."

According to the Miami Herald, tracking those other miscreants down could be a tall order. The paper quotes Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL and a South Miami High alum) in claiming the additional cyber-attacks may have been launched by foreign hackers albeit without giving any further explanation.

On top of the DDoS attacks, it is said the online class system is dealing with glitches that prevented some of the hundreds of thousands of students in the district from logging in anyway. ®

Similar topics

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

    Prosecution seems to be first of its kind in America

    A Tesla driver has seemingly become the first person in the US to be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a deadly crash in which the vehicle's Autopilot mode was engaged.

    According to the cops, the driver exited a highway in his Tesla Model S, ran a red light, and smashed into a Honda Civic at an intersection in Gardena, Los Angeles County, in late 2019. A man and woman in the second car were killed. The Tesla driver and a passenger survived and were taken to hospital.

    Prosecutors in California charged Kevin George Aziz Riad, 27, in October last year though details of the case are only just emerging, according to AP on Tuesday. Riad, a limousine service driver, is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and is free on bail after pleading not guilty.

    Continue reading
  • AMD returns to smartphone graphics with new Samsung chip for your pocket computer

    We're back in black

    AMD's GPU technology is returning to mobile handsets with Samsung's Exynos 2200 system-on-chip, which was announced on Tuesday.

    The Exynos 2200 processor, fabricated using a 4nm process, has Armv9 CPU cores and the oddly named Xclipse GPU, which is an adaptation of AMD's RDNA 2 mainstream GPU architecture.

    AMD was in the handheld GPU market until 2009, when it sold the Imageon GPU and handheld business for $65m to Qualcomm, which turned the tech into the Adreno GPU for its Snapdragon family. AMD's Imageon processors were used in devices from Motorola, Panasonic, Palm and others making Windows Mobile handsets.

    Continue reading
  • Big shock: Guy who fled political violence and became rich in tech now struggles to care about political violence

    'I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy,' billionaire VC admits

    Billionaire tech investor and ex-Facebook senior executive Chamath Palihapitiya was publicly blasted after he said nobody really cares about the reported human rights abuse of Uyghur Muslims in China.

    The blunt comments were made during the latest episode of All-In, a podcast in which Palihapitiya chats to investors and entrepreneurs Jason Calacanis, David Sacks, and David Friedberg about technology.

    The group were debating the Biden administration’s response to what's said to be China's crackdown of Uyghur Muslims when Palihapitiya interrupted and said: “Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? ... I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about … yes, it is below my line.”

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022