Frenchman who wanted to 'smash a guy's face in' fined €135 – despite correctly filling out paperwork stating why he left home during lockdown

'In his own way, he was trying to fulfil the letter of the law' says cop


A Frenchman has been fined after police in Brittany discovered him breaking the country's harsh lockdown laws with a written note saying he'd left home to "smash a guy's face in."

The errant 39-year-old was found in the town of Lannion in the early hours of Saturday, 21 November, according to expat news site The Local.

A police commander, Daniel Kerdraon, told the AFP newswire that the unnamed man was spotted lurking behind a parked car by a passing police patrol. On questioning, he told cops he was "waiting for someone to smash their face in."

France's coronavirus lockdown laws state that anyone who leaves their home must fill out a paper permit – called an attestation - explaining why they're out and about.

The man, who was armed with a flick knife, had duly filled his out "with his real name" and the time he had left home.

"In his own way, he was trying to fulfil the letter of the law," sighed Kerdraon, who added that the man's reason for being outdoors was not valid.

He was duly arrested and fined €135, along with another €150 for "drunken behaviour."

The Rafale-B jet from which the unfortunate Frenchman got to experience parachuting as well as flying

French pensioner ejected from fighter jet after accidentally grabbing bang seat* handle

READ MORE

France has had its fair share of oddities during the strange year that has been 2020. In April a comedy of errors came to light after an elderly and reluctant French pensioner, shanghaied into a fighter jet trip by well-meaning colleagues, accidentally ejected himself after takeoff. By pure luck, an ejection seat system malfunction meant the pilot stayed inside the jet and was able to safely land it, albeit without its passenger. Both were uninjured.

Then, in June, a chap who stolidly stared down his employer's attempt to constructively dismiss him by giving him nothing to do won £44,000 in compensation for the so-called "bore-out." ®

Similar topics


Other stories you might like

  • Will this be one of the world's first RISC-V laptops?
    A sneak peek at a notebook that could be revealed this year

    Pic As Apple and Qualcomm push for more Arm adoption in the notebook space, we have come across a photo of what could become one of the world's first laptops to use the open-source RISC-V instruction set architecture.

    In an interview with The Register, Calista Redmond, CEO of RISC-V International, signaled we will see a RISC-V laptop revealed sometime this year as the ISA's governing body works to garner more financial and development support from large companies.

    It turns out Philipp Tomsich, chair of RISC-V International's software committee, dangled a photo of what could likely be the laptop in question earlier this month in front of RISC-V Week attendees in Paris.

    Continue reading
  • Did ID.me hoodwink Americans with IRS facial-recognition tech, senators ask
    Biz tells us: Won't someone please think of the ... fraud we've stopped

    Democrat senators want the FTC to investigate "evidence of deceptive statements" made by ID.me regarding the facial-recognition technology it controversially built for Uncle Sam.

    ID.me made headlines this year when the IRS said US taxpayers would have to enroll in the startup's facial-recognition system to access their tax records in the future. After a public backlash, the IRS reconsidered its plans, and said taxpayers could choose non-biometric methods to verify their identity with the agency online.

    Just before the IRS controversy, ID.me said it uses one-to-one face comparisons. "Our one-to-one face match is comparable to taking a selfie to unlock a smartphone. ID.me does not use one-to-many facial recognition, which is more complex and problematic. Further, privacy is core to our mission and we do not sell the personal information of our users," it said in January.

    Continue reading
  • Meet Wizard Spider, the multimillion-dollar gang behind Conti, Ryuk malware
    Russia-linked crime-as-a-service crew is rich, professional – and investing in R&D

    Analysis Wizard Spider, the Russia-linked crew behind high-profile malware Conti, Ryuk and Trickbot, has grown over the past five years into a multimillion-dollar organization that has built a corporate-like operating model, a year-long study has found.

    In a technical report this week, the folks at Prodaft, which has been tracking the cybercrime gang since 2021, outlined its own findings on Wizard Spider, supplemented by info that leaked about the Conti operation in February after the crooks publicly sided with Russia during the illegal invasion of Ukraine.

    What Prodaft found was a gang sitting on assets worth hundreds of millions of dollars funneled from multiple sophisticated malware variants. Wizard Spider, we're told, runs as a business with a complex network of subgroups and teams that target specific types of software, and has associations with other well-known miscreants, including those behind REvil and Qbot (also known as Qakbot or Pinkslipbot).

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022