Spacewalk veterans take a trip outside the ISS to pump up the power with new solar arrays

Lego ISS fans, look away now


International Space Station (ISS) astronauts are venturing out of the orbiting outpost today to replace its ageing solar arrays.

It is an international effort, with NASA's Shane Kimbrough and ESA's Thomas Pesquet exiting the lab's Quest airlock to deploy the first of six arrays (dubbed ISS Roll-Out Solar Arrays – iROSAs) that should boost the power supply of the station and keep things ticking over until decommissioning time.

Two of the new arrays arrived in SpaceX's latest Dragon cargo spacecraft and were plucked from the freighter's trunk by the ISS's robotic arm. Kimbrough and Pesquet will work first on the far end of the left (port) side of the station's truss to install the first array and venture out once more on Sunday 20 June to install the second.

The ISS currently has eight solar panels, which, while they are still generating power, are degrading with age. The first pair have been in use since 2000, quite some way beyond the original 15-year lifespan. The six new arrays will be placed in front of the old ones (rather than replacing them) and it is expected that the ISS's total power will increase to 215 kilowatts from the current 160 kilowatts once the work is complete.

The same solar array design is planned for use on the Lunar Gateway.

The duo are spacewalk veterans, having previously left the interior of the ISS to upgrade the station's batteries, lubricate the Canadarm2 and prep the space-facing docking port on Node 2 for the docking adaptor to which the SpaceX cargo Dragon is docked.

Kimbrough and Pesquet arrived at the ISS on board Crew Dragon Endeavour as part of the Crew-2 mission. Crew-2 pilot Megan McArthur will be tasked with manoeuvring arrays into place with the Canadarm2 while NASA astronaut Mark Vande Hei (who was brought to the ISS on Soyuz MS-18) serves as backup. ®


Other stories you might like

  • Despite global uncertainty, $500m hit doesn't rattle Nvidia execs
    CEO acknowledges impact of war, pandemic but says fundamentals ‘are really good’

    Nvidia is expecting a $500 million hit to its global datacenter and consumer business in the second quarter due to COVID lockdowns in China and Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Despite those and other macroeconomic concerns, executives are still optimistic about future prospects.

    "The full impact and duration of the war in Ukraine and COVID lockdowns in China is difficult to predict. However, the impact of our technology and our market opportunities remain unchanged," said Jensen Huang, Nvidia's CEO and co-founder, during the company's first-quarter earnings call.

    Those two statements might sound a little contradictory, including to some investors, particularly following the stock selloff yesterday after concerns over Russia and China prompted Nvidia to issue lower-than-expected guidance for second-quarter revenue.

    Continue reading
  • Another AI supercomputer from HPE: Champollion lands in France
    That's the second in a week following similar system in Munich also aimed at researchers

    HPE is lifting the lid on a new AI supercomputer – the second this week – aimed at building and training larger machine learning models to underpin research.

    Based at HPE's Center of Excellence in Grenoble, France, the new supercomputer is to be named Champollion after the French scholar who made advances in deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs in the 19th century. It was built in partnership with Nvidia using AMD-based Apollo computer nodes fitted with Nvidia's A100 GPUs.

    Champollion brings together HPC and purpose-built AI technologies to train machine learning models at scale and unlock results faster, HPE said. HPE already provides HPC and AI resources from its Grenoble facilities for customers, and the broader research community to access, and said it plans to provide access to Champollion for scientists and engineers globally to accelerate testing of their AI models and research.

    Continue reading
  • Workday nearly doubles losses as waves of deals pushed back
    Figures disappoint analysts as SaaSy HR and finance application vendor navigates economic uncertainty

    HR and finance application vendor Workday's CEO, Aneel Bhusri, confirmed deal wins expected for the three-month period ending April 30 were being pushed back until later in 2022.

    The SaaS company boss was speaking as Workday recorded an operating loss of $72.8 million in its first quarter [PDF] of fiscal '23, nearly double the $38.3 million loss recorded for the same period a year earlier. Workday also saw revenue increase to $1.43 billion in the period, up 22 percent year-on-year.

    However, the company increased its revenue guidance for the full financial year. It said revenues would be between $5.537 billion and $5.557 billion, an increase of 22 percent on earlier estimates.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022