Elon Musk says Twitter buy 'cannot move forward' until spam stats spat settled

A stunning surprise to no one in this Solar System


Elon Musk said his bid to acquire and privatize Twitter "cannot move forward" until the social network proves its claim that fake bot accounts make up less than five per cent of all users.

The world's richest meme lord formally launched efforts to take over Twitter last month after buying a 9.2 per cent stake in the biz. He declined an offer to join the board of directors, only to return asking if he could buy the social media platform outright at $54.20 per share. Twitter's board resisted Musk's plans at first, installing a "poison pill" to hamper a hostile takeover before accepting the deal, worth over $44 billion.

But then it appears Musk spotted something in Twitter's latest filing to America's financial watchdog, the SEC. The paperwork asserted that "fewer than five percent" of Twitter's monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the first quarter of 2022 were fake or spammer accounts, which Musk objected to: he felt that figure should be a lot higher. He had earlier proclaimed that ridding Twitter of spam bots was a priority for him, post-takeover.

After Musk kicked up a fuss and vowed to investigate, Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal on Monday responded with a string of tweets defending the less-than-five-percent figure, to which Musk replied with a poop emoji. As part of the takeover red-tape, the SpaceX supremo had promised not to disparage Twitter and its representatives.

Then on Tuesday, Musk said he's not just pausing his proposed purchase, it's on hold until he sees solid proof of that figure; he believes the real number could be 20 percent or more.

"My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate," the Tesla chief said.

"Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does."

In its latest earnings report [PDF] for its Q1 2022 results, Twitter said its average US mDAU was 39.6 million, up 6.4 percent from the previous year, and the average international mDAU was 189.4 million, bringing the quarterly total to 229 million. Musk has argued those figures are probably much lower due to a good number of those users being automated spam and bot accounts. In its last quarterly filing, Twitter did admit that an account linking error meant an "overstatement of mDAU from Q1'19 through Q4'21."

Twitter's Agrawal had said it was difficult to detect and remove bots. Not all accounts that spread spam are fake, some belong to real humans. He also said Twitter's estimates are based on sampling user behavior, and it'd be tricky to figure out the true number of mDAUs. Still, he claimed the internal estimates for the past four quarters have reported spam users make up less than five per cent of all accounts.

Twitter management is still keen on selling to Musk. Agrawal said he was looking forward to continuing talks with the billionaire. The biz filed a preliminary proxy statement with the SEC reiterating Musk's offer to purchase Twitter at $54.20 per share in cash. "Twitter is committed to completing the transaction on the agreed price and terms as promptly as practicable," it said in a statement. 

"The transaction is subject to the approval of Twitter stockholders, the receipt of applicable regulatory approvals and the satisfaction of other customary closing conditions, and is expected to close in 2022," it added. 

Musk previously promised to front $21 billion from his own fortunes, while the remaining $25.5 billion will be backed by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others via debt financing. He sold $8.4 billion worth of Tesla shares to help finance the deal, too, and secured another $7.14 billion from investors. If he backs out of the deal, he may have to pay Twitter $1 billion in penalty fees.

Twitter declined to comment. Its share price is about $38.30 apiece, down 18 percent over the past five days. ®

Broader topics

Narrower topics


Other stories you might like

  • Twitter shareholders to vote on Elon Musk's acquisition
    Mogul's team sprayed with 'firehose' of data as unending saga continues

    Twitter has reportedly thrown its $44 billion buyout by Elon Musk to a shareholder vote, which could take place around late July or early August.

    Execs told employees of the plans on Wednesday, according to outlets including CNBC and the Financial Times.

    The move follows reiterations by Musk's camp that he is prepared to walk away from the deal if the social media network fails to provide accurate information on the number of fake accounts.

    Continue reading
  • SpaceX staff condemn Musk's behavior in open letter
    Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why

    A group of employees at SpaceX wrote an open letter to COO and president Gwynne Shotwell denouncing owner Elon Musk's public behavior and calling for the rocket company to "swiftly and explicitly separate itself" from his personal brand.

    The letter, which was acquired through anonymous SpaceX sources, calls Musk's recent behavior in the public sphere a source of distraction and embarrassment. Musk's tweets, the writers argue, are de facto company statements because "Elon is seen as the face of SpaceX."

    Musk's freewheeling tweets have landed him in hot water on multiple occasions – one incident even leaving him unable to tweet about Tesla without a lawyer's review and approval. 

    Continue reading
  • Musk repeats threat to end $46.5bn Twitter deal – with lawyers, not just tweets
    Right as Texas AG sticks his oar in

    Elon Musk is prepared to terminate his takeover of Twitter, reiterating his claim that the social media biz is covering up the number of spam and fake bot accounts on the site, lawyers representing the Tesla CEO said on Monday.

    Musk offered to acquire Twitter for $54.20 per share in an all-cash deal worth over $44 billion in April. Twitter's board members resisted his attempt to take the company private but eventually accepted the deal. Musk then sold $8.4 billion worth of his Tesla shares, secured another $7.14 billion from investors to try and collect the $21 billion he promised to front himself. Tesla's stock price has been falling since this saga began while Twitter shares gained and then tailed downward.

    Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others promised to loan the remaining $25.5 billion from via debt financing. The takeover appeared imminent as rumors swirled over how Musk wanted to make Twitter profitable and take it public again in a future IPO. But the tech billionaire got cold feet and started backing away from the deal last month, claiming it couldn't go forward unless Twitter proved fake accounts make up less than five per cent of all users – a stat Twitter claimed and Musk believes is higher.

    Continue reading
  • Zendesk sold to private investors two weeks after saying it would stay public
    Private offer 34 percent above share price is just the thing to change minds

    Customer service as-a-service vendor Zendesk has announced it will allow itself to be acquired for $10.2 billion by a group of investors led by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman, investment company Permira, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.

    The decision is a little odd, in light of the company's recent strategic review, announced on June 9th, which saw the board unanimously conclude "that continuing to execute on the Company's strategic plan as an independent, public company is in the best interest of the Company and its stockholders at this time."

    That process saw Zendesk chat to 16 potential strategic partners and ten financial sponsors, including a group of investors who had previously expressed conditional interest in acquiring the company. Zendesk even extended its discussions with some parties but eventually walked away after "no actionable proposals were submitted, with the final bidders citing adverse market conditions and financing difficulties at the end of the process."

    Continue reading
  • Musk can't tweet about Tesla without lawyer approval – and he's still fighting to end that
    By free speech, he means freedom to flip the bird at the SEC

    Elon Musk still hopes to quash a 2018 settlement agreement with the SEC requiring Tesla-related tweets to be approved by a lawyer before he can post them: on Wednesday, he took his case to the US Court of Appeals after a lower court denied this request.

    The Tesla CEO landed himself in hot water with the watchdog when he tweeted he was thinking of taking the company private at $420 a share, and claimed to have already secured the necessary funding (sound familiar?) In reality, however, Musk did not have the funding or approval to do so. Investors, however, took him seriously and they started buying more shares, bumping up the stock price over 10 per cent.

    The SEC accused Musk of fraud, saying his tweets were false and misled the public and caused disruption in the market. Musk was sued by the US regulator; he later settled the lawsuit by agreeing to pay $40 million in penalties, step down as chairman of the automaker's board, and accepted that any tweets discussing Tesla would have to be screened from now on.

    Continue reading
  • Totaled Tesla goes up in flames three weeks after crash
    A pit and 4,500 gallons of water were needed to put it out

    A totaled Tesla Model S burst into flames in a Sacramento junkyard earlier this month, causing a fire that took "a significant amount of time, water, and thinking outside the box to extinguish," firefighters said. 

    The vehicle was involved in a comparably unexplosive accident that sent it to the junkyard three weeks ago – it's unclear what caused the Tesla to explode nearly a month after being taken off the road. Like other electric vehicle fires, it was very difficult to extinguish.

    "Crews knocked the fire down, but the car kept re-igniting and off-gassing in the battery compartment," the department said on Instagram. 

    Continue reading
  • Tesla lawsuit alleges unlawful layoffs at Nevada gigafactory
    It's the second time a Musk-owned company has been accused of WARN Act violations

    Tesla is facing another lawsuit, and it's treading over old territory with this one. Fired Gigafactory workers are alleging that the electric car maker improperly terminated more than 500 people.

    The proposed class action suit, filed on Sunday, stems from an email owner Elon Musk sent to Tesla leaders in early June – no, not the one where the billionaire said Tesla's workforce needed to be reduced by 10 percent.

    According to the lawsuit [PDF], filed by two former employees at Musk's Nevada battery plant, Tesla moved far faster than it was legally allowed to when it fired employees at the gigafactory in the city of Sparks, NV. 

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022