Defacement archive Zone-h gets defaced

Web graffiti attack harks back to age of innocence


Defacement archive Zone-h.org has itself been defaced.

The hack - claimed in the names of Cyber-Terrorist, HeLL cYbEr, and Jurm - involved posting a link to a YouTube video and dancing babies on the site's altered home page. The Arab language video, featuring an ad promoting nappies, replaced the site's usual content of information security commentary and a defacement archive.

A message that came with the defacement suggested hackers pwned the site for want of something better to do.

Sorry, but I am bored I wish you a fun time with the song :D lol

Zone-h.org was unavailable on Friday afternoon following the hack, recorded here.

The site runs Apache on a Linux platform, according to Netcraft.

Maintaining a defacement archive is a pretty thankless task. For one thing, it's a lot of work. For another, neither defacers nor sys admins of defaced sites will thank you for your efforts.

It's not the first time Zone-h.org has been hit by hackers. The defacement archive was the victim of a domain hijack attack in January 2007.

Zone-h.org founder Roberto Preatoni was open with its preference for winding down the site when we met him at the Infosec conference in London last April. If it is put to rest, zone-h.org will go the way of Alldas.de and other broadly defacement projects of the past.

That's perhaps a little unfortunate. Last year, in a poll on whether or not Zone-h.org should die, a majority wanted the site to continue. But in an age where SQL injection assaults against legitimate sites are used to run drive-by download attacks without leaving any obvious signs of attack, perhaps the recording of blatant web graffiti attacks is no longer as relevant as it once was. ®


Other stories you might like

  • Stolen university credentials up for sale by Russian crooks, FBI warns
    Forget dark-web souks, thousands of these are already being traded on public bazaars

    Russian crooks are selling network credentials and virtual private network access for a "multitude" of US universities and colleges on criminal marketplaces, according to the FBI.

    According to a warning issued on Thursday, these stolen credentials sell for thousands of dollars on both dark web and public internet forums, and could lead to subsequent cyberattacks against individual employees or the schools themselves.

    "The exposure of usernames and passwords can lead to brute force credential stuffing computer network attacks, whereby attackers attempt logins across various internet sites or exploit them for subsequent cyber attacks as criminal actors take advantage of users recycling the same credentials across multiple accounts, internet sites, and services," the Feds' alert [PDF] said.

    Continue reading
  • Big Tech loves talking up privacy – while trying to kill privacy legislation
    Study claims Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, Microsoft work to derail data rules

    Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft often support privacy in public statements, but behind the scenes they've been working through some common organizations to weaken or kill privacy legislation in US states.

    That's according to a report this week from news non-profit The Markup, which said the corporations hire lobbyists from the same few groups and law firms to defang or drown state privacy bills.

    The report examined 31 states when state legislatures were considering privacy legislation and identified 445 lobbyists and lobbying firms working on behalf of Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta, and Microsoft, along with industry groups like TechNet and the State Privacy and Security Coalition.

    Continue reading
  • SEC probes Musk for not properly disclosing Twitter stake
    Meanwhile, social network's board rejects resignation of one its directors

    America's financial watchdog is investigating whether Elon Musk adequately disclosed his purchase of Twitter shares last month, just as his bid to take over the social media company hangs in the balance. 

    A letter [PDF] from the SEC addressed to the tech billionaire said he "[did] not appear" to have filed the proper form detailing his 9.2 percent stake in Twitter "required 10 days from the date of acquisition," and asked him to provide more information. Musk's shares made him one of Twitter's largest shareholders. The letter is dated April 4, and was shared this week by the regulator.

    Musk quickly moved to try and buy the whole company outright in a deal initially worth over $44 billion. Musk sold a chunk of his shares in Tesla worth $8.4 billion and bagged another $7.14 billion from investors to help finance the $21 billion he promised to put forward for the deal. The remaining $25.5 billion bill was secured via debt financing by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others. But the takeover is not going smoothly.

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022