Tennis pro serves up pic of bad French Open line call

Racket-smashing made obsolete by smartphones and Twitter


Tennis professional Sergiy Stakhovsky has taken a smartphone onto the court at the French Open to photograph the spot where a ball landed, in order to produce evidence an umpire made the wrong call.

The incident reportedly took place during the first set of the 101st-ranked male player's first-round loss to French opponent Richard Gasquet.

Stakhovsky reached for his mobe in an attempt to retrieve a point after the umpire called one of his shots out.

Stakhovsky later emitted the Tweet below.

The umpire warned Stakhovsky for using his phone and ignored the photographic evidence. As seems proper: if you can see a ball mark in the shot above you've better eyes than we at Vulture South.

Stakhovsky lost the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, 6-3, but may have won the internet. ®

Broader topics


Other stories you might like

  • Musk repeats threat to end $46.5bn Twitter deal – with lawyers, not just tweets
    Right as Texas AG sticks his oar in

    Elon Musk is prepared to terminate his takeover of Twitter, reiterating his claim that the social media biz is covering up the number of spam and fake bot accounts on the site, lawyers representing the Tesla CEO said on Monday.

    Musk offered to acquire Twitter for $54.20 per share in an all-cash deal worth over $44 billion in April. Twitter's board members resisted his attempt to take the company private but eventually accepted the deal. Musk then sold $8.4 billion worth of his Tesla shares, secured another $7.14 billion from investors to try and collect the $21 billion he promised to front himself. Tesla's stock price has been falling since this saga began while Twitter shares gained and then tailed downward.

    Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others promised to loan the remaining $25.5 billion from via debt financing. The takeover appeared imminent as rumors swirled over how Musk wanted to make Twitter profitable and take it public again in a future IPO. But the tech billionaire got cold feet and started backing away from the deal last month, claiming it couldn't go forward unless Twitter proved fake accounts make up less than five per cent of all users – a stat Twitter claimed and Musk believes is higher.

    Continue reading
  • Twitter shareholders to vote on Elon Musk's acquisition
    Mogul's team sprayed with 'firehose' of data as unending saga continues

    Twitter has reportedly thrown its $44 billion buyout by Elon Musk to a shareholder vote, which could take place around late July or early August.

    Execs told employees of the plans on Wednesday, according to outlets including CNBC and the Financial Times.

    The move follows reiterations by Musk's camp that he is prepared to walk away from the deal if the social media network fails to provide accurate information on the number of fake accounts.

    Continue reading
  • SpaceX staff condemn Musk's behavior in open letter
    Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why

    A group of employees at SpaceX wrote an open letter to COO and president Gwynne Shotwell denouncing owner Elon Musk's public behavior and calling for the rocket company to "swiftly and explicitly separate itself" from his personal brand.

    The letter, which was acquired through anonymous SpaceX sources, calls Musk's recent behavior in the public sphere a source of distraction and embarrassment. Musk's tweets, the writers argue, are de facto company statements because "Elon is seen as the face of SpaceX."

    Musk's freewheeling tweets have landed him in hot water on multiple occasions – one incident even leaving him unable to tweet about Tesla without a lawyer's review and approval. 

    Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022