Oh no, you're thinking, yet another cookie pop-up. Well, sorry, it's the law. We measure how many people read us, and ensure you see relevant ads, by storing cookies on your device. If you're cool with that, hit “Accept all Cookies”. For more info and to customize your settings, hit “Customize Settings”.

Review and manage your consent

Here's an overview of our use of cookies, similar technologies and how to manage them. You can also change your choices at any time, by hitting the “Your Consent Options” link on the site's footer.

Manage Cookie Preferences
  • These cookies are strictly necessary so that you can navigate the site as normal and use all features. Without these cookies we cannot provide you with the service that you expect.

  • These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.

  • These cookies collect information in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used. They allow us to count visits and traffic sources so that we can measure and improve the performance of our sites. If people say no to these cookies, we do not know how many people have visited and we cannot monitor performance.

See also our Cookie policy and Privacy policy.

This article is more than 1 year old

TalkTalk claims 157,000 customers were victims of security breach

Cheapo telco revises down attack figure, shares climb 4%

TalkTalk has once again attempted to downplay the seriousness of the attack on its systems by claiming on Friday morning that only four per cent of its customers – nearly 157,000 people – were affected by the security breach.

The budget ISP said that bank account numbers and sort codes of 15,656 of its subscribers had been swiped in the attack.

It added that 28,000 "obscured credit and debit card numbers" had been nicked, but claimed they "cannot be used for financial transactions, and were 'orphaned', meaning that customers cannot be identified by the stolen data."

Of the total 156,959 customers that TalkTalk claimed had been directly hit in the attack, 113,303 people had "sensitive personal data" stolen but their bank details were not targeted, the telco said.

Throughout TalkTalk's statement, the company reiterated its claim that the "financial information" pilfered during the security breach "cannot on its own lead to financial loss".

However, faith in the firm's ability to handle customer data has hit an all-time low.

As noted by analysts at Megabuyte, shares in TalkTalk are currently trading down 30 per cent since it was revealed that ISP's systems had been violated by attackers.

"TalkTalk now faces serious questions over its security protocols. Indeed, this episode serves as a timely reminder to all corporations that cyber-attacks are becoming more frequent, malicious and successful, underlining the need to have sufficient protocols in place," the analyst house said.

However, shares in TalkTalk have risen more than four per cent on the London Stock Exchange this morning, suggesting the City welcomes the company's claims that fewer customers were affected by the attack than previously suspected.

Nonetheless, TalkTalk stock remains close to the bottom its 52-week range (220.10p – 415.10p), currently trading at 230p per share.

Next Wednesday (11 November), TalkTalk's boss Dido Harding will report the company's half-year results to the City. Those numbers will only apply up to 30 September this year – apparently before the breach occurred – but TalkTalk will undoubtedly have something to say about the costs it expects to have incurred following the attack on its systems. ®

More about

TIP US OFF

Send us news


Other stories you might like